66 Bassman + 2x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Oct 4, 2016.

1. $1,000+

2. $900-$999

3. $800-$899

4. $700-$799

5. less than $700

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I've been offered first shot at 1966 Bassman Blackface including a newish 2x12 cabinet that goes with it

what is a fair price?

seller doesn't remember what drivers are in the cabinet, but they're not stock

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Value will be greatly affected by condition, missing or changed parts, condition of tubes etc. An unknown cab with unknown speakers does not have much affect at this point. :)

3. Killed_by_Death

I assume it's in good shape, but I'm not going to know jack about the condition other than the looks of it
    obviously if it looks beat up there's no deal or if I plug in and it just sputters nonsense out
    it's a 2 hour drive for me, but at least it's a drive that passes right by the RIC/G&L dealer

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    With that in mind, I'll vote.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    @Killed_by_Death — Why would you want it? Really?

IMHO, it is useless except in a recording studio, where, IMHO, it is easily surpassed by so many things, I can't count them all.

6. Killed_by_Death

mainly because guitar players have used them & I play guitar & bass

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's cool and all, but for guitar blackface fenders with no reverb or tremolo are like BBQ with no hot sauce, and for bass it would at best be a neat studio recording amp, maybe with a different cab.

arai, Passinwind and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. It's a nice guitar amp.

Caca de Kick and Killed_by_Death like this.
  9. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    meh...

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I have a blackface Fender guitar amp and the tone is very special. People love it. It's a nice amp to own.

I don't know what a good price is, condition, any modifications, and location factor in. The cabinet wouldn't be worth a lot since it isn't matching or a Fender cab. Otherwise, add $50 to the value of the head. Retail asking prices can be found at gbase.com but private sale prices are a lot lower. Reverb.com is a better measure.

11. Killed_by_Death

I'm pretty sure it is a Fender cabinet, just a new one, not the vintage one that would have come with it
    Although I don't have a photo yet, but I'm probably going to pass
    I'm seeing used ones listed on GC.com & the prices are not as high as in my poll

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    If the price is affordable, for guitar use, how can you go wrong.

Not too many years ago, a bassman head from that era would sell for around $250. Prices have gone through the roof because blackface amps are highly desirable.

13. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Agreed that it is better for guitar. Very bland for bass......it works,but not all that well.
    If memory serves,the cab is really thin...

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Agreed on the reverb part, that's what makes a Fender a Fender IMHO. I think they sound better with the Vibrato circuit removed (unless you actually use that feature), but vive la difference.

15. Love the sound of a bass through a bassman

16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I much prefer the Fender standalone reverbs, they have a nice depth over the build in ones. Granted, they are a bit expensive. Makes a good project.

IMG_1157.PNG IMG_1156.PNG

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    They're fantastic sounding if you are down with inline effect devices in front of your tube amp, which is something I prefer to avoid. It's funny, I never use passive basses, but really prefer that dynamic of passive instrument-->cable-->amp for guitar.

In any case, 500 bucks tops for that head, plus whatever the cab might be worth.

18. big fender bassman fan here, beware of the ampeg and modern amp fanboys they were try and tell you this isn't a bass amp, it's only 5 watts, they're terrible at bass, etc. none of it is true. fantastic warm bass tones. i prefer them with a 1x15 or 2x15 but they sound good with the 2x12 as well. i gigged regularly for a year in a bar with one, so yes 50 tube watts is fine.

head alone 66 all original is worth 700-800, newish cab around 200-400 depending on what it is. so 1000+

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I wouldn’t give $100 for the amp together with the cabinet. It’s a terrible bass amp. :(

tattooSAM and Killed_by_Death like this.
  20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I never use effects loops. When I use effects, it is always infront and into the amp. All pickups are passive.

The '63 Fender reverb is DIY popular. But while your at it, add a tremolo and have them both in the same box. Weber sells (or at least used to) a tweed style chassis for them, called a revibe.

But what I'd really like to build is a DeArmond tremolo. They sound so smooth, work well for bass as well as guitar. Building one takes a bit of machine shop work.

Premier Guitar article / DeArmond tremolo | Dan Formosa

I have an article somewhere where something similar is done with a spinning CD with holes drilled into it. Another take on the same idea.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022