1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

66 fender bassman jumper ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jul 30, 2007.

1. I have a 66 fender bassman and I am currently running into a A/B/Y box and leaving it on Y to run through both pre's at the same time. Someone at guitarcenter told me I can runa 1/4" from the 2nd input on one side and run it into an input on the other to get the same results. Is this safe to do? I am nervous trying this but if yall tell me its cool it will save me some wiring mess.

Thank you

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Safe to do. They are parallel inputs.

3. I don't see any advantage of doing this either way. There are not two discrete preamps and it certainly doesn't increase the power.

These amps were designed with two channels to facilitate two instruments playing through one amp. This was fairly common in "garage" bands back in my day. It was a real treat when we all could afford an amp each!

4. I was under the impression it was for multiple instruments and wouldnt really make a difference, then someone suggested using both and I can definatly tell a difference in volume and tone this way. especially with the deep and bright switches both engaged.

5. Yeah Harley, someone suggested the same thing to me in 1967. I played guitar then through a Vibrolux Reverb and tried it. I remember not noticing any difference in tone or volume, but that was only forty years ago, Ha!

I do recall using two separate Fender amps connected via the parallel inputs and that worked well. Maybe the apparent boost you hear comes from the "deep" boost plus the "bright" boost. I dunno.. I've got a dead '66 Bassman sittin' in my shed and thinking about getting it reworked.