'66 Jazz "A" neck nut questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by johno697, Mar 13, 2005.

1. johno697

Mar 13, 2005
    I just received a Graph Tech tusq 1-1/2" replacement nut for my '66 Jbass with white neck binding. When I traded for this bass in the early 70's, I replaced the original (cracked) nut. I trimmed and filed the nut as best as I could back then. However, the E string has a tendency to pop off during "aggressive playing". So I thought while I'm restoring the bass, I'd replace the nut.

The string spacing on the new Graph Tech nut is much wider than the apparent available width. If I shave off the ends to fit between the white neck binding, there will be very little material left to hold the E & G strings in place.

Question 1. I'd like to confirm the radius of this neck? Based on Fender's 1966 specs, is it 7.25" or 9"?

Question 2. Because of the binding, I'm thinking I need to make my own custom nut. Anyone know of a good source for a bone or tusq nut blank with the correct radius?

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I think (for me) this is one of those situations where I'd take it to a PRO-fessional that you know and trust to do the job correctly. A '66 fender is nothing to mess around with. I wouldn't want to ruin that binding, or make things worse. Seems like another good thing to know would be the 'string spacing' you're looking for.
    just my 2 cents
  3. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    never get a pre-filed nut. i dont think that nut will work.
  4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I totaly agree with JSP! Take it to a pro! I have a '66-j too. When I bought it in '83 it had a brass nut. It still does. I am not messing with it. Mine is dots and binding I didn't know some had the MOP blocks very nice......t
  5. Ship it back to Fender, complain that it doesn't fit the replacement nut and you want a new neck. ;)
  6. johno697

Mar 13, 2005
    Surely you jest!

IMHO, there aren't competent guitar repair services in my town that I trust. Plus, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool DIY'r.

I spoke to a nice guy at Graph Tech today. He suggested a
    PQ-4125-00 TUSQ Nut Slab.

He commented that making a nut is not "rocket science", just need to take my time. (Yes, I know he wanted to sell his product!)

He instructed me to lay sandpaper on the fingerboard to use as a guide to the proper radius. He said their TUSQ material is very easy to work with.

All this in case someone else can benefit from my experiences. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Attached Files:

7. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    If you can get the old nut out without ruining it, maybe you can just trace the lines on a piece of paper and use those as dimensions.......as far as getting the proper fingerboard radius on the bottom, the sandpaper idea sounds really good.....good luck with the project and hope it all turns out nice. Take your time!