Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'66 jazz bass PUPS..BLUE WINDING wire???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dumbeat, Nov 15, 2005.

1. dumbeat

dumbeat

Nov 15, 2005
    Hi-

recently bought a '66 jazz bass. refinished, with a newer, vintage style bridge (how could i afford it otherwise...?). the body and neck are original and that's what i really cared for- the wood. now i opend the PUPS.
    they look very old. they had this foamy padding material glued to the bottom. i easily took it off. there is nothing written on 'em, unless the remainings of the foam make it unreadable.
    in any case one of them has the original copper color wound wire, but the bridge PUP has a blue metalic kinnda wire color for the winding wire material. What is THAT?

can anyone help in identifying both pups?

if i want to restore the instrument as close to a '66 sound, which PUPS do you suggest to put in there for max authenticity of sound?

option 1. N.O.S sound(as if NOW was '66)
    option 2. ones that might have the sound of 40 yo used ones.

i just LOVE the sound of old underdog fenders and want to stay away from flashy modern sounding PUPS that have big volume but small...you know what...

thanks for your help,

Rea.

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    FWIW, the Aero Type 1 pickups i bought looked the same way. At least, i think it was the Aeros. Could have been the stock Fenders that I removed.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Blue I've never seen. I've had the Aero Type I's but don't remember blue windings and didn't make note in the review. Maroon I've seen a few times (thinking the Antiquity II's were that way) although can't really remember what on. Maroon does have a blue tint so that may be what you guys are talking about, maybe not. Had some MIA Fender J's that had bright blue tape wrapped around the windings (pretty cheesy looking too) but there was no mistaking it for winding.

Different insulation has been used and different mixes of wire. The old stuff seems they called Formvar but pups are definetly currently still issued that at least are intended to appear the same.

There's quite a bit of information scattered around on the net about old Fender parts but I've just ran across it in passing and was not consciously looking for it, didn't make note. Steve Dude Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Company would probably know and be of some assistance.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    It could be maroon, for sure. I mean, i could tell it was still copper, it was just much darker, etc. In contrast with the bright copper of the other pup, it may have taken a blue tinge.

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Here is a picture of my 66 pickups for reference. Grey w/ copper wire in both positions.

[​IMG]

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Yep, looks like a crusty old Fender. Most of the windings in pups looks pretty much the same. Occassionally I see some that is comparatively fine or coarse, and darker or brighter color of copper. The two colors that stand out are that purple/maroon stuff and there's a bright copper that is almost like a neon copper. The purple I knew exactly what it was at one point and I thought I'd made comment in my reviews but skimming don't see it so it may be buried in print someone. Those reviews have changed in format over time and now such junk is at the top of the page under the description - apprarently it wasn't then.

To my knowledge you don't see that purple wire on a cheap pup or very often. So it's probably a decent stock vintage manufacturer pup or a custom like a Frailin/whatever. If the bobbins look exactly the same, It may be the stock pup that's be rewound - although I would have thought they'd have tried to duplicate the winding.

Email/PM DavidRavenMoon - said he designs pups, he ought to know.