Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'66 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kirk P Brosius, Sep 29, 2003.

1. I bought this bass from the original owner in 1969 and gigged with it until 1980 when I met my wife and set my musical career aside fo a few years. It has been virtually unplayed since then. In 1989 a few friends decided to "put the band back together" so I dragged out the J and tried to loosen up. Here are two bits of adviec:
    1- Don't expect your chops to be there after not playing for 9 years!
    2- Don't leave roundwounds on your bass for 9 years and expect good tone!!
    Anyway, I played for a couple of years and, seeking more tone options, bought a Carvin. I sold it and bought a Smith 5 and the J still sits under the bed.
    I live in the Central Rockies with NO music stores nearby to get an appraisal.
    The bass is all original, neck binding, usual minor wear, stamped "MAR 66" on heel of neck.
    Can any of my fellow lowenders give me a rough idea of value?
    Thanks for taking a moment to read this.

2. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Yeah, $50. I will send you the check today! :D

Seriously, I would consider keeping that Bass. It's a piece of history. You mentioned that you have a wife. Do you have kids? If so (and if you are NOT selling the Bass to keep food on the table), why not keep the Bass and give it your children? The Basses I own are not vintage, however by the time my 5 year old son becomes a teenager they will be!

Anyway, just my $.02. I'm sure someone wise in the ways of vintage instrument appraisals will chime in with some useful info.

Regards,
    Tom

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    rough idea of value - if it's all original in great shape = about $2500. And irreplacable. I recently flirted with the idea of selling my vintage '66 Bassman amp, and it took a guitarrist friend's rant to talk me into keeping it. I'm sure glad that I did.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    If you don't need the money keep it.
    I sold my 66-Jazz six years ago.
    Wish I never did.
    I agree, Bass is worth $2300.00 to $2500.00

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    id like to see a pics..but if your intrested hows a ric and a sterling?

:)

steve

7. I own a MIA 66' and a 67' and here's a good vintage info link.
    Vintage Fender Guitars, Basses, Amps.

Depending on the condition of the bass the price can vary!

[​IMG]

;) Treena

8. Treena,
    Those are some beautiful basses. How do you decide which one to play? Are there subtle differences betwwen them?
    Robert

9. I use TI Jazz Flats on the MIA 66 and Ti Power bass series on the MIA 67. The different strings allow for different styles of music. That's how I choose. They both are sweet sounding!

;) Treena

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I saw a '61 in the GC a few days ago on sale for around $7000. I don't know how to play a bass with a turtleshell, so I didn't take it down.

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Is this a joke? i've never seen a bass with turtleshell...
    tortise shell yes...:rolleyes:

steve

12. Hey All,
    Thanks for all the responses. My reason for the original post was to get an idea of value for insurance purposes, not to put it up for sale although the has crossed my mind. One of my local boys suggested that I put on a good set of flats (T.I.?) and use the bass as it was intended, jazz gigs. This seems like a good idea, I haven't used flatwounds for 40 years when I had an EB3, my first bass. Should have kept it, too!
    Thanks, again. Talkbass is pretty cool, I'm kinda new at this and don't have a digital camera yet.