Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'66 jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Just wondering, but what is the big deal with vintage instruments? I mean, unless you want them for a collector's item, are they really worth the money? Do they sound that much better than a new Fender would? Also...in my flurry of questions...what is the little point of the little plastic bar on the pikcguard? I've seen them above the strings to anchor off of, but what are they doing under the strings? They would get in the way of slapping...

2. Kraig99, I'm guessing why would someone want a '69 GTO? It doesn't drive/handle better that todays' camaro's or mustangs. They both get you to where you want to go. It's about style.
    And the plastic thingy your talking about...
    Leo Fender first put them below the strings. The electric bass was supposed to imitate the upright sound. So he was thinking you would play the bass with your thumb (ala Sting). It's there to anchor your index or middle finger. I don't think slap had been invented yet (upright is another story).