SOLD 66 P-bass. A great player.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Deep End, Aug 18, 2017.

1. The Deep End

The Deep End Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2013
    New York City
    Price:
    Strings:
    This bass is a dream player. Has suited me perfectly for 3 years (purchased from @mikeowen17 here). Just bought my 1st Sadowsky and something of value must go (alas, no trades can be accepted). Bass and I are located in NYC (Manhattan).

A few pics now and more to follow. Will quote from Mike's post of 3 years ago (below) and add the following addendum items: in the spirit of keeping this a "player's bass", I had to replace the frets. Also swapped in new BadAss bridge pieces (originals will be provided). Currently strung BEAD with TI Flats but will be setup with your strings of choice. All work done by the best - Matt @ 30th Street Guitars.

The bass is an early '66 but has all the pre-CBS features (e.g. unbound fretboard). L series serial number. It has been refinished and the electronics have been replaced with CTS pots and Duncan Antiquities.

I am of the opinion that this must have been a custom color before the refin as it has the green guard (with smooth edges, which I understand is the telltale sign of originality on these).

Neck is beautiful and feels nicely worn in. Tuners are original reverse buttons.

Comes with a Fender HSC which I was told is original - but has green lining and a small box compartment - so is different to many I've seen from this era. May have been a dealer supplied case, as I know Fender supplied various cases to dealers back in the day.

IMG_1852.JPG IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1850.JPG

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Antiquity one or two?

And how do they compare to the original

3. The Deep End

The Deep End Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2013
    New York City
    Unfortunately, that is an "I don't know" and "I don't know". I don't have the personal experience to know. This is going to my tech next week. Should be able to get answers there along with up-to-date pics on internals. Will add details here. Thanks.

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  4. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Isnt the diff between I and II simply the added corrosion and scratches (relicing) of the II pickup? Or is there a tone dif? I dont recall specifically, but I have a vague memory that the dif is mainly (not completely) cosmetic.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021