1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'66 P-bass at gguitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Sep 9, 2008.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  2. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Whats the deal with the 'thumb rest' on some Fenders? Is it even a thumb rest at all? Half the time I see it above the E, and the rest below the G, as it is on this guitar.... Anyone care to enlighten me? :)

3. Originally wasn't a thumbrest. It was were you anchored your fingers when playing WITH your thumb.

4. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    (drool)

Not on the bass, though, of course!

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Not some, but all Fenders built from 1951 til the 72/73 changeover, all had "finger rests" or "tug bars".
    If you watch Brian Wilson play you'll understand how the Fender bass was originally intended to be played...down strokes with your thumb.
    Remember, this was supposed to mimmic the sound of an upright when it was designed in '51.

6. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    That bass is clean.

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Is the price about right on this one?

8. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    I wonder if any basses have both a thumb rest and a tug bar... this combined with Fender pickup covers would make a very busy bass...

9. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    No basses came with both as original equipment, but I've seen at least one where the owner had it set up that way. Personally, I don't use them on either side (and I've had both).

That's a nice clean bass. You won't see a lot of that vintage that are that clean....not on the open market anyway. I imagine someone will pay the price.

10. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Coronado!

CornonadoII6.

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Looks like it even has the original fender Flats on it. A real closet classic!

12. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Just to be clear, it's not mine - i just pulled the pic off a web site. It's sweet though!

13. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    +1 When they're that clean it makes you wonder if they're any good i.e. it's not been played that much as it's maybe not so great. Just a thought and probably way off base, probably just had one careful owner.

Even if it is a great instrument it seems a bit over the top price wise though, I paid about $4.8k for my '63 in the UK, she's a bit more beat up though!

P1-1.

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1...makes me wonder...

It'd be cool for a rich collector I guess, but 7k for a bass...no way I'd pay that...

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    omg omg omg omg omg omg omg.

I'm seriously contemplating giving up my rent money and buying this!