#*&$#@ !!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Last nite. Highest profile gig I think we've played yet. Reunion party for a club in Staten Island that used to be really happening, and closed around 10 or so yrs ago. The Red Spot. Approximately 300 people there.

Only 2 bands are playing the party, short 20 minute showcases, and there's lots of other entertainment throughout the nite. There are big industry people there. Some of the names were even recognizable by me, and I dun know nuthin. We got a full sound check, everything is going to run smoothly - as it usually does :rolleyes: .

The events started at around midnite. The owner of the club makes a big speech, there's a little 9/11 tribute and a police officer sings the Star Spangled Banner - the owner comes back on stage and gives us the this really great buildup (he's a big fan of The Nerve!).

We have a beautiful bikini girl with The Nerve! painted all over her come out to recite the Pledge of Allegience from our very bass heavy opening song Resistance (that you can hear here if you like http://www.thenerve.org/merch.htm ), and we kick in with all our glory. I thought a bomb hit the stage - HUGE CRACKLING SOUNDS FROM THE MONITERS IS ALL WE HEAR!!!! Can't tell if I there's any bass cuz I couldn't hear it during the soundcheck anyhow. Bass kicks in, cuts out. Ut oh..... :eek:. Fiddle with my cords. More deafening crackling. Monitors cut out completely. I hear bass in the house, no I don't, yes I do, no I don't. On the outsile I know I'm keeping my composure as I'm rolling around the floor and jumping as if good things were happening. Finally realize my cord if a gonner. It was fine during soundcheck. It's doing everything a cord shouldn't (and very little of what it should) including making horrible loud popping sounds. There's a solo bass/drum part in the middle of the song. The problem is clearly identified now. I feel like an ass. MY PATCH CORD OF ALL THINGS (moniters did go too, that was unrelated). Somehow we managed to finish the song - my singer is great at ad libbing when horrible things start happening. I yelled go solo dude! and jumped off stage to secure my other jack. He solo sang Louie Armstrong's It's a Wonderful World. I got hooked up and we went into the rest of the 5 song set without missing a beat. I was able to somehow miraculousy put it behind me and I'm sure we made up for the garbage that went on. I'm double sure that my acting skills have gotten a lot better and I projected very little of the horror and panic that went on in my head - but damn do I have a gig nitemare headache today. I plan to be very nice to Joe today.

That's all.
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Just goes to show that it pays to have bikini girls to distract the crowd while your cable dies:D
  3. Hey, it simply pays to have bikini girls to distract the crowd. For ANYHTING.:D:D

Rock on