1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

67 Ampeg B15N worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Handsome Dan, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Handsome Dan

Handsome Dan Supporting Member

There is a 67 Ampeg B15N on my local craigslist. Claims in very good condition with cover. Pictures look good. He is asking $1700 for it. Just wondering if it's worth the time to go check it out or is this priced too high?
    Appreciate anyone's input.

2. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    Worth can be subjective but I don't know that I would say the price is terribly out of line, especially if the electronics are in good shape. It looks like the power transformer has been replaced, which isn't uncommon and can be a good thing. Cosmetically it looks great. I think it's at least worth a look.

Jim Carr, SirMjac28 and JimmyM like this.
  3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    "Whats it worth?" or "How much would you pay?" Threads!!!

I don't make the rules here, but your question is against the rules unless you're a supporting member.

As an alternative, I suggest looking on eBay at *completed sales* (you must have an active account on eBay to view completed auctions).

Jim Carr likes this.
  4. Handsome Dan

My bad. My account must have been expired. Just re upped it just now

Jim Carr likes this.
  5. Handsome Dan

Anyone else have any input on this?

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've got a '66 model and wouldn't sell it for less than that.

7. If it's as nice as you say it might be worth it even if it has a replaced power transformer.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Mark from Vintage Blue told you everything you need to know. He's very much an expert.

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    When a B-15 is in good shape sellers ask for more. The ‘67 is unique, the knobs were different, there was a trim around the front. Some people seek this year out, others don’t care for the look.

Not all B-15’s are the same. There were cabinet and amp revisions over the years.

Look at the models in the TB Portaflex Wiki.

Portaflex Models | TalkBass.com

Is it worth the asking price? How does it sound? Are the transformers original? How about the speaker? Have any mods been performed? Has the amp been recapped? Is the speaker original? Will you have to re-tube it?...

$1700 could be fair. Don’t buy the amp to make money off it down the road. Buy it for life.

If you want to see a classic B-15N, check this out. The ‘67 differs in that it has a printed circuit board for one thing. The cabinet does not have the same speaker baffle type. All variations sound good, just slightly different.

Vintage Showcase | TalkBass.com

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:34 AM
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That rule only applies to items you are thinking of selling, not buying. It is to prevent people from using "what's it worth" as free classified posting.

Wisebass and SirMjac28 like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It is not. Read the rules.

You cannot ask for a price valuation if you’re doing it with the intent to sell something unless you’re a supporting member.

If you’re asking because you’re looking to buy something there is no restriction.

This has been clarified repeatedly by the powers that be.

Ric Vice and Wisebass like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Depending on the year and condition I’ve seen the asking price on working B-15Ns run from just north of $1K up to around $2K. So $1700 falls within the range of what I’ve been seeing.

FWIW last year a buddy of mine scored an early 70s model in superb cosmetic condition with a recently done full professional electronic checkup/overhaul that included new caps and the installation of a grounded power cord. NOS tubes used throughout too.

He paid $1800 and change for it exclusive of shipping. (He drove about 400 miles to pick it up in person rather than trust Fedex or UPS with it. And I can’t say I blame him.)

MattZilla likes this.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well,
    In 1964 a brand spanking new B-15N(C) cost $355.00 sorry I cannot find a price cutsheet for 1967. If you adjust that for inflation, today's price would $2,930.00. Now
    that was for a shiny new amp, with a warranty. The most inportant thing is to find out the condition of the amp. Follow what Beans on Toast said.
    "How does it sound? Are the transformers original? How about the speaker? Have any mods been performed? Has the amp been recapped? Is the speaker original? Will you have to re-tube it?..."
    If you cannot get answers to those questions then I'd pass. Here's another way to look at it, (sorry I've thought about this a lot) a B-15N(C/F)Trinity Trip Top Amp Kit is $1,844.00 with a speaker cab
    and dolly, plus the labor costs, unless you can build it yourself. I have my B-15N(C) and look upon it like I would a vintage car, that needs upkeep and has to be driven. Just my take.

Ampeg Catalog Pricing. TripTopPicSm.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:58 PM
  14. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I've owned two of them, plus a '71, that came with a cover. Never payed more than $1000 for any of them, and sold them on for the same price. The '71 was totally original, the other two had some mods, like changing the AC plug to a 3 prong, and tube replacements. My fave was the first '67 I had, original driver and a very buttery tone.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  15. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Couldn't have said it better. I've seen these models posted around this ballpark and some that were 30% higher. I've got a '66 SB-12 that stays in my living room for noodling and playing. Hard to believe sellers who market the "tone, tubes, classic Motown vibe", when they haven't even touched the amp. Lot's of variants of the B-15 that have something unique.

16. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Depends on the shape, original stuff of course, but just a quick scan on Ebay, I found five B15's from a '65 to a '72 for less than $1700. And, Ebay is often overpriced, imho.

Ric Vice likes this.
  17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    A astute and patient buyer can usually get a decent B-15N for less than that $1,700.00 asking price, but not always. I've never considered the 1970's B-15's to have the sound I'm looking for.

Some folks really love the sound of the Theil Boxes, and that's perfectly fine. IME playing both amps the Double Baffel Reflex cabs sound better. I've played both amps and while I love those

ultra hi and ultra low switches, the Thiel isn't a sound that I enjoy. Just my take. I paid $500.00 for my 1964 B-15N(C) in 1974. It was in immaculate condition.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    jnewmark likes this.
  18. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Wow, the "circuit board" shown in one of the photos in the linked page is crazy. Does it even have traces on the other side? My guess is no since there are clearly jumpers connecting components together. I love the resistors that are pushed over to the side to avoid touching the mounting screw head. :)

19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That’s called an eyelet board. It’s a parallel row of eyelets, like shoelace holes, mounted on a non conductive board. Parts are mounted and connected with wires. There are no circuit traces on either side of the board.

At one time, all amps were made this way, some still are. Construction is labor intensive so it costs more to produce than a printed circuit board.

Around 1965, Ampeg started using printed circuit boards.

JimmyM and skycruiser like this.
  20. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Rumor has it that is may have been the first amp to use printed circuit boards.