1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

67 Ampeg B15N worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Handsome Dan, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Handsome Dan

Handsome Dan Supporting Member

IMG_2422.JPG Did they make the cab covered in two different Rolex types? All the others I have seen have the checked tolex that looks like the new portaflex cabs. This is a pic of the one I'm interested in.
    Thanks for all the replies.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Five, actually. The earliest were covered in what they called "navy random flair," then blue diamond, then this for a short period, then they made them look like SVT-meets-B-15 till 1980, then the B-15R brought back blue diamond, and now they use black diamond. Other than the navy random flair, this is my favorite because I love that piping in the front frame. Not cheap to make it, and I suppose that's why they never brought it back, but I love it.

Ric Vice likes this.
  3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I had one like that. The previous owner said it was a '67.

JimmyM likes this.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    It's very striking, I think that since Ampeg was always trying to look a little different than "the other guys" especially Fender they were always trying out different styles and colors of tolex.
    Am I dreaming or weren't there some Grey B-15N's in the late 60's or early 70's. All the ones I can find pictures of are black?

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Never saw one. Jimmy might know.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't remember seeing any.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    There were the plexiglass versions. The only official colored cabs that I can think of were made by Mark at Vintage Blue. He has a white one on his home page.

Of course, owners recover their beat up old cabs. The blue check material was not always available so folks used a different vinyl.

jnewmark likes this.