1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$67 Glarry P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamesNC, Jan 12, 2019.

1. JamesNC

JamesNC

Dec 10, 2016
    So has anyone tried one of these $67 P’s? I stumbled across their $65 metal guitar on Walmart’s site, which led me to the bass. I’m almost curious enough to pull the trigger on the yellow P. Maybe the metal guitar also.
    merry_christmas - GlarryMusic.com

jeff7bass likes this.
  2. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I don't have any direct experience with this bass, but I'm a pretty firm believer in the old adage, "You get what you pay for".

If you go for it, let us know how it turns out.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Looks like a P bass. Take one for a ride and report back.

17002956_5_420_420.

4. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    3-piece body (not plywood), sturdy neck, I love the cheap bent-plate bridge...

looks like at least a good platform. :)

JamesNC likes this.
  5. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Wow, what a crazy find. I found this review on it,

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. JamesNC

JamesNC

Dec 10, 2016
  7. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    For 67 bucks I'll pull the trigger on a white P bass model, buy a new neck if needed, a new set of tuners, change out the pups and the pots/knobs and a new bridge. And voila! :bassist:

8. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
  9. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Clark Word likes this.
  10. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I agree with pretty much everything in his review. I really like the feel of the necks on these. The finish has a very smooth but very natural feel. Haven't had any issues with the tuners yet. One of mine had some very minor sharp fret ends. The other had none at all. And I will say I have heard much more expensive p basses that I did not care for as much as these. The pickups are bright enough for me. I don't like a dark, muffled p bass tone.
    One negative on these would be if you want to swap the pickguard, I'm not sure where to find one that will fit easily. They seem to be a bit smaller than any I have been able to find.

JamesNC and Clark Word like this.
  11. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Here are my two. The black pickguard on the burst is the stock white one covered with adhesive vinyl. The natural is like the one reviewed. Nice finish, but has some grayish areas just due to being basswood or whatever.

SAM_7449.JPG SAM_7449.JPG SAM_7314.JPG SAM_7314.JPG

12. IMO these represent very good value for the buck, especially with regard to weight and as modding platforms. Only issues I have had is fret sprout (on a red Glarry) and climate-sensitive necks. And (speaking from experience) a yellow Glarry is more accurately a "Fender blond" Glarry, not nearly as intense a hue as in the picture.

Glarrys are okay, and good for the purposes specified (and yes, with a set-up they are gigable right out of the box). But i believe Irins and Crescents to be of higher quality. And if light weight is your thing, make sure the bass weighs 3200g or less.

patrickj and Bass Man Dan like this.
  13. Wow cheap multiscale! Lol the precision in the video does sound great though.

Flooflox likes this.
  14. I can’t see a downside. Plus “A good electric guitar, will be your constant companion in your lifetime. Buy a GLARRY electric guitar and pursue your own musical dreams”

15. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    For that price, I will buy one just to see if it actually sounds as good as on the review. With free shipping to boot! A hardshell case may cost more than the bass!

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have to admit it's been quite some time since I've seen a Burlywood bass.
    Screenshot-20190114-000417-Samsung-Internet.

17. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Figures! Not available in Canada :(

Slapthatplank likes this.
  18. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I gave Glarry my email. I want a burlywood. :) I checked out the one on ebay for $54. It didn't say Glarry on the headstock, so I think it might be a fake. :eek:

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yeah, plenty of Chinese companies copying these things…some even going so far as putting Glarry decals on the headstock!

20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If my name were "Larry", I'd just remove the "g" and voila, a personalized bass.