1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

67 P-bass or general Precisionness?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. I'm in a Queen tribute band - we haven't been going that long so I've not considered gear authenticity much. I have a cheap 5 string bass with an Nordstrand NP5 pickup installed to get a good P sound. So far so good (note that 5 strings means I don't have to detune to play Fat Bottomed Girls...).

Sooner or later, however, I feel I'll need to get an actual Fender , mostly to feel the part but also because It's Fun to Buy Stuff. I believe Deaky's main weapons were 2 x 1967 Precisions. So my questions are:

1. Do 67 models have any notable features to differentiate them from others? I.e. why don't I see any 67 reissues, unlike 52s or 62s? Just how different can one year be to the next?
    2. Does it really matter what instruments tribute bands play? And if it does, would you as a punter be happiest seeing ANY P, a natural P, or an actual 67 etc?

Please, no responses telling me what a dumb question this is as it's only the sound that matters. That's no fun at all.

2. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I don't think that JD used '67s exclusively. The blonde P he used (which got damaged) and the black (see Freddie Tribute Concert) I do not believe were '67s - but I could be wrong. For quite awhile starting around '78 he also used the pre-EB StingRay, and one songs like "Radio Ga Ga" a fretless (MusicMan I believe).

His main bass for a long time was the blonde P.

EDIT: This site should help you http://www.deaky.com/bass/indexE.html

I was in a Rush tribute band for awhile. I think what you use to some degree depends on:
    a) What sound do you want (keeping in mind that once it hits the crowd, if your tone is close to what he did, choice of bass may not matter)
    b) Are you trying to be more of a look-alike? If the answer is yes, you should try getting as close as possible.

In our Rush band, we preferred to sound more like them not look like them :)

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    FWIW there are very few '67 Fender basses out there at all; I suspect they ramped up production very heavily in '66 and sold off the instruments over the next year.

It makes sense there aren't any P RIs from that period, as there is no compelling reason they would be that popular, as there are no particular appointments or associated famous players associated with them necessarily that would beg a reissue, IMO.

4. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
  5. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    BUT to answer your question -
    How a '67 P-Bass would differ from, say, a new American Standard:

The bridge on the MIA is different (beefed up and a bit better; they designed it so you you can't see the difference a few paces away), width at nut may be narrower or wider depending on when exactly Deacon's bass neck was made, you cannot select different neck profiles, there's no thumb rest, the bass does not come with pickup or bridge covers, the headstock logo is different, and the pickup is not 40 years old.

That's it, pretty much. Someone more tech-y that I am can maybe tell you that there are different tone-control capacitors or something. You can have a repair person retrofit these if you feel it necessary.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

The big deal with 67 P-basses are the so few were made.

When Fender became CBS, in 1966.
    They upped there production of basses. ( More 1966 basses were made
    that year than any year before)
    Even now you can find more 1966-basses on the market.
    Than say 1964, or 1965 basses.
    So in 1967, very few basses where made, they where still selling
    basses from 1966, which they had in stock.

I've only seen. one 1967 P-bass in my life.