1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$675 speeding ticket

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Aug 10, 2012.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    80 in 65 speed limit. What the f-word.
    Ventura county, CA. How much in your neck of the woods?

2. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Slow down.

3. Sharknose79

Sharknose79 UNPAID greenboy/fEARful endorser Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2011
    South Cackalacky
    I have nothing to disclose at this time.
    blink-1.

Move.

sleepyEDB likes this.
  4. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I got slapped with a $466 speeding ticket for doing 28 over the limit, 83 in a 55.

5. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I received a ticket for $325 in New York state a couple of years ago. I was doing 92 in a 60 zone under very particular circumstances. Regardless, I was driving like a jerk and totally deserved what I got. The surprise was when I later received a bill for an additional $300 as part of a "driver responsibility evaluation". Oops.

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    It was a Saturday morning. Everyone was doing 80; I likely sped up to make a lane change & so stuck out among the crowd.
    Trust me I've slowed down since. I just allow a litle extra time beforehand & take it easy, enjoy the ride.

7. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I got a 60 in a 35 in Elk Grove, CA in my personal vehicle. $755. Took case to court. Normaly I agree with the officer but he pulled me over for doing almost 30 over in rush hour traffic over 2.5 miles from where he said he radar-ed me at with no speed limit in sight anywhere. The officer dropped charges before trial. Probably to save face.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It was in 1994, but I can't remember how much it was or how fast I was going. Seems like I remember being in a 35MPH zone. I had my wife and kids in the car, so it couldn't have been that fast.

This thread does remind me of the days when Ty McNeely posted around these parts.

-Mike

9. FREAKYSTLYEY

FREAKYSTLYEY Banned

Jan 14, 2007
    Damn most I ever got Waslike 150$

10. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I got one going 91 in a 60 on the way home from a gig a while back. I had taken the Cruz control off because I was falling asleep and wanted something else to pay attention to. Got pulled over a 1/4 mile from mt exit. Was honest with the officer about what happened but took full responsibility. He asked how far I was going and I started laughing when I pointed at the exit. He gave me the ticket for 71 mph!!!! $180. Still sucked but I was grateful. Pretty sure some of my "Luck" was due to the fact that we wear suits on stage.

11. Dear lord. I swear I'd cry if I ever got a ticket over $100...

Need Gigs likes this.
  12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Oh I cried. I cried like a little baby. Not really. I just can't don't much.

13. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    was it all monetary or were there "points" too?

14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Harsh. In Germany they have open speed limits but gas is $10 a gallon. I like that idea better.

15. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    The points on your insurance will kill you, financially. Even at 675$, what the state takes is nothing compared to what your insurance company winds up with over the course of 5-7 years of increased premiums. Learned this the hard way. I don't speed anymore.

Here in MA It's something like $50 per point per year on a no-frills liability policy, with a speeding ticket earning you 3 points. A collision policy on an expensive car can double that. Lasts for five years. Ouch!

16. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    That is my neck of the woods. Last one I got was 80 in a 65 (101 freeway in Thousand Oaks): ~380 with traffic school. Where did it happen exactly?

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How about $56 for 115 in a 65 zone? The cop was very kind. He said, "You know, I was going over 100 miles an hour and didn't seem to be closing on you. You saw me before I could get a clock on you, so I'm going to do you a favor and write you for 75 in a 65."

I was ultra compliant and thankful. That was in 1970 in my Road Runner with some Marine buddies on the way to Orange County Raceway, where I won "I Stock Automatic" (being the only car in that class). I still have the trophy.

Up in Ventura County I got stopped for 60 in a 55 along that stretch of 101 right along the beach. It was when they were heavily enforcing the new 55 mph maximum speed limit back in the day. He blessed me out and let me go.

18. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Welcome to the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

19. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    My wife got a $175 ticket for doing 50 in a 40 zone here in NYC.
    Cop by a highway entrance standing there in the street pointing at cars to pull over...no radar gun in sight just telling people to pull over and then writing them up. I wasn't in the car but since then see him there all the time.

Looked to pay the ticket online for a few weeks but it never showed up. Went to DMV to pay it and told the woman that I had been trying to pay it online. She dropped her head down and said "If I look the ticket up and it's not here I have to put it in the system and you have to pay. Chances are the cop was too lazy to process the ticket and will never get around to it."

She said to check for a few more weeks but that after 2 months if it doesn't show up online it will never make it's way into the system.

So, I thanked her and walked out the door. Kept checking online and the tickets never showed up so I was able to save myself some $$.

I guess they make the fees so high to try and deter people from speeding...I know we were lucky and learned our lesson!

20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    101 near Oxnard/Camarillo. I should add, proof of insurance & license (I has it) but I don't think that affected the price. Maybe prices went up lucky for me.