1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

68/69 Jazz truss rod problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pnchad, Jun 26, 2014.

1. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    I've been a TBer for many years and dabble in repairs, building, etc.

I need educated advice and this is the most knowledgeable place I know.

I have a J bass bought off evilbay some years ago - when I had it apart the neck stamp says '68 and, I forget how I know but, I think the body/electronics are '69

anyway, it's a player's bass and plays pretty well - has that early J tone so I'd guess the pups are original
    it has a wonderful neck with a slab board

it was de-fretted many moons ago and had a crappy re-fi maybe at the same time

now that I have my shop together I'd like to re-finish it and bring it back to full life but the one flaw is that the truss rod seems to be bottomed out - I don't think it's stripped but rather fully turned clockwise

what can be done? would it be worth it (or maybe dangerous) to try and detach the board for a truss rod replacement?

there doesn't appear to be any warping of the wood but the action could definitely be improved with a working rod

thanks in advance!

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    A simple truss rod nut spacer will give it more adjustment. Please don't attempt to remove the fretboard

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  3. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    thanks - yes a professional

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
  5. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    thanks guys

do you loosen the rod up as much as possible first?

6. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    You take the nut...or screw all the way off. Then you slide a spacer or two over the exposed rod.

Then you tighten it up.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    This ^^^^