'68 Goya Rehab Completed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Nov 8, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Just about one year ago I bought a Fender knock-off from the ‘bay. Typical of so many ebay ads, the photo describing the bass was really bad and the seller had almost no idea what the bass was. Except for the description “old bass guitar” and the lousy photo, it was an unknown. At $200 it was right on the border of being too much money for a total unknown ……. :meh:

I posted a question on the forum about the possible origin of the bass and many fellow TB’ers responded. Opinions ranged from it being a total piece of plywood junk to the possibility of it being maybe a reasonable MIJ copy.

Turns out that the bass is a circa 1968 Goya, made in Japan from the same factory that was pushing out Hagstrom and/or Aria knock-off’s. Markings inside the neck pocket were really helpful in figuring out what the bass was and when it was built.

When it arrived, it was obvious that it hadn’t been played for a long time. The bass was filthy, the neck was visibly bowed and the strings were a completely mismatched set (2 flats, 2 rounds, all different makers). There is some wear on the body above the pups at the contour (likely were the former player rested his wrist while playing) and a little bit of buckle rash on the back, but nothing really horrible. The body is 2-piece ash, a little heavy but typical of Fender style basses of the period.

Amazingly, the electronics worked great once I re-soldered everything …… no hiss, no hum, just a beautiful sound and cool warm passive tone :D I had originally thought I was going to strip out the electronics and replace everything, but once I heard that sound I had to leave everything alone.

I quickly grew attached to the wounds and bruises on the bass. At first I was going to strip it down, but then decided to leave it alone. This bass had been well played by someone for a long time … the damage to the body is a result of player wear, not neglect.

I looked for a long time to locate a vintage fretless neck and finally found a 1970 Tokai that matched up to the bass perfectly, both in terms of fit and vintage wear. I also found a replacement bridge, string tree and neck pup cover from the same time period. The only “non-vintage” parts on the bass are the tuners (new AllParts).

This bass has got something special going on. It definitely has that “vintage mojo” that a few threads here have been discussing lately. I originally intended to sell the bass once it was finished, but she’s a keeper. Anyone looking for more information can go here …….. :cool:

2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Nice looking bass! Definitely keep it.