1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD '68 Hiwatt DR 106 - Entwistle's?

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by fenderp63, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fenderp63

fenderp63

Dec 9, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Price:
    $7000
    Feeler ad for gauging interest in acquiring this little piece of history.

1968 Hiwatt DR 106 bass amp. Truly one of a kind. All evidence points to this being a custom amp built for John Entwistle by Dave Reeves. The amp has been examined by an authority on such things, and he is convinced it is what it appears to be. Rock-solid evidence is impossible to produce, as records for this sort of thing are virtually non-existent. But I will provide the email chain to interested parties. Link to the extensive discussion thread is at the bottom of this ad.

At the very least, it is a bona fide '68 Hiwatt, and I have never seen another DR 106, so it is a unique amp. And it really has that Leeds sound to it.

The basics: 100 W, four channels, four volumes and a master, treble and bass tone controls. All tube. Weighs a ton. Could probably be dropped from a two story building and come out fine. Given the likely previous owner, that is a distinct possibility...

The only mods are a three prong plug, and someone before me replaced the output jumper with a toggle switch for 4 or 8 ohm. I added rubber feet on the bottom of the amp after it scratched up one too many cabinets.

Everything works great, with the exception of a little crackle in the master pot and channel four still gets a little AM radio interference. This was my gigging amp for about seven years back in the late 70's/early 80's, and it powered a couple of JBL D 140's nicely. Speaker design has passed it by, however, and the Acme cabs I'm using now wouldn't even get warm with 100 watts. But with an efficient speaker, it can still rattle the windows.

I've seen Hiwatts of this age go for around $2-3K. I was advised to insure it for $10K. PM any questions or reasonable offers.

Discussion thread (with lots more pics) here:
    '67-'68 Hiwatt amp - Entwistle's?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    d00dr, Mowbro, jerVc and 5 others like this.
  2. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    This is awesome!

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You'll need to post a solid sale price- thank you :)

4. fenderp63

fenderp63

Dec 9, 2014
    Portland, OR
    OK, as a place to start, splitting the difference between what I've seen Hiwatts of this age go for and the insurance rec.

$7K

5. fenderp63

fenderp63

Dec 9, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Sold!