1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

68 Tele Bass Controls

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ampig, Apr 1, 2013.

1. The pots on my 68 Tele bass are getting increasingly iffy. I want to remove the entire control plate intact and replace it with new components. I'd like to maintian the original pot and cap values. Anyone know what they might be?

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    The original Telecaster bass has two CTS pots with 250k Audio.
    The capacitor is a .05µF.

I think you see the original wiring on your own bass.
    Otherwise see the original 1968 wiring in drawing 1.1.61 (page 41 at the moment):
    http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t2...chaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html
    The pdf file is at the bottom of the page. Wait a bit after clicking because the pdf file has 429 pages now (6.63 MB). Save it on your HD after it has loaded and go to page 41 ...

3. Thanks my friend

4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    No problem!

As I see Virginia ...

I was in the USA today for 8:15 hours! ;)
    Ken Burns' "The Civil War" was on German TV (in a "shortened" version) from 10:15 in the morning until 6:30 in the evening!
    No April Joke!!!
    An excellent documentary!

But I suppose this is off topic ... :scowl:

Does your Telecaster bass have the lollipop tuners?
    But it is already a model with a OPMN or still a glued on maple fingerboard? A friend of mine has a Telecaster 1968, too! Amazing bass!

5. It's got the lollipops.aple fretboard wioth the skunk stripe down the back. Don't know what OPMN means.

A large part of the Civil War was fought in Virginia..................

6. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    One piece maple neck

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Excellent Pdf.
    Thanks!

8. I guess I should be embarrassed. I never checked if it vwas one piece or not. I've been told that the skunk stripe is there for insertion of the truss rod from the rear on one piece neck instruments.

9. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    When a 1968 Telecaster bass has a skunk strip, it's a OPMN ...

Maple fingerboards were also available from 1957-1968 but only as a "very special extra custom demand". Not comparable to the custom colours!
    These "two piece maple nacks" had no skunk stripe as the rosewood veneer was simply replaced by a maple veneer. Fender CBS from 1965 on didn't even have the old original machines which drilled the skunk stripe.

When CBS decided to bring out the Telecaster bass, they still didn't have the machine. So, the first Telecaster basses had a glued on maple veneer - like a rosewood fingerboard. A TPMN so to say ... ;)
    If your bass has a skunk stripe, it's surely the 1968 OPMN version!

So many customers asked about the OPMN on other instruments that CBS decided to revive the OPMN on the other instruments, too.

10. Thanks for the clarification