1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

68th Anniversary Of The Doolittle Raid

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Apr 17, 2010.

1. For those WWII history buffs, tomorrow, April 18th, is the 68th anniversary of The Doolittle Raid, a payback air raid for the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Never before had such heavy, land-based planes been launched from an aircraft carrier, which was a pretty amazing feat in itself at the time.

http://www.doolittleraider.com/index.htm

Here's part 8 of the movie, "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo," which depicts the takeoff scene.

By the way, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo was directed by Mervin LeRoy, who also directed The Wizard of Oz.

Thank you, Jimmy Doolittle. ;)

Mike

2. Thanks for the tip. Pretty amazing feat at the time.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, that's right, that is tomorrow. cool.

4. Doolittle had to have had a humongeous pair to pull off this raid. Just launching off those carriers was a feat in itself. One of the greatest stories in a war that was chock full of great stories.:)

5. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Carefully calculated (right down to the allowance for the extra 30kts of wind velocity provided by the carrier's forward motion), and rehearsed multiple times on land, but still an incredibly ballsy bit of flying

Also a beautiful example of Leadership in the "Old Style". First one off the carrier was Doolittle himself. He led the way - literally. Everyone after him had a little more length of flight deck to work with

Doolittle was one of the True Greats of the "propellor era", even before the Tokyo Raid:

First outside loop ever performed

First completely 'blind' instrument flight, from takeoff to landing

Won all three of the major aviation trophy races of the preWW2 era - Schnieder Cup, Bendix Cup, and Thompson Trophy

The only pilot to ever win a race with a GeeBee R Model, and one of the few to fly one for any length of time and live to tell about it

and much, much more.....

GBmodel-R1.

6. Didn't they take off early, due to the fact they believed they had been detected? I've read about this but it's been awhile.

7. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Yep

The task force encountered a Japanese trawler that probably got off a position report before it was destroyed. That forced the raiders to take off early. That early takeoff, in turn added many miles to the trip

End result was that all of the raiders had to ditch well short of their planned landing zone in (IIRC) China. Doolittle and some of the others got back home ok. Some were taken prisoner by the Japanese....

8. some were executed......there was some footage of the mitchells taking off from the carrier and they barely made it off the flight deck......wasn't mitchell the guy that was barely able to convince the military of the value of strategic bombing

9. I would say that General Billy Mitchell did NOT convince many(in any position to do anything)during his career- he was not by most accounts I've read, a PR genius- sadly.

10. Yes, bassteban, you are correct.

Billy Mitchell stepped on a lot of feet and egos, insisting that aircraft could sink battleships, which in the 1920s was thought to be ridiculous. He also predicted that Japan would attack Pearl Harbor and the Philippines. You can read about it in Posthumous Vindication towards the bottom of the page.
    http://www.yourdictionary.com/biography/billy-mitchell

And yes, the Doolittle raiders were spotted, and had to takeoff earlier than planned, which made some of the planes crash just off the Chinese coast.

The main reason I'm so interested in history, and the history of World War II in particular, is that my father was in the US Army 8th Air Corps. He used to service planes, and then received gunnery training, but the war ended before he was sent on any missions. Here he is next to a B-17 bomber in England circa 1944.
    _IGP4438-1.
    He died in 1978.

Thanks to all you guys who responded.

We must all learn from history. ;)

Mike

11. AnchorHoy, you know your facts about Jimmy Doolittle. ;)

Mike

12. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Not quite as widely known, but Jimmy Dolittle was the commander of the U.S. Eighth Air Force in the U.K. ( replacing Ira Eaker) from Jan. 1944 thru Sept. 1945 tho at that point he was back in the Pacific getting B-29s ready to fly against Japan.

13. My father(87)was a flight engineer on B-29s, which sparked my interest in aviation & military history. He never saw combat, but my late father-in-law flew P-47 Thunderbolts in combat.

14. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    My grandmother's husband (who passed 2 Novembers ago) was a P-38 pilot stationed on one of the Aleutian Islands during WWII. In an interesting twist of events, his first Mission was scheduled for 8 August 1945.

15. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    You might look for Brian Garfield's "Thousand Mile War" it's a comprehensive look at the Aleutian Theater, enjoyable read.

16. I'll keep an eye out for that book,TBird1958. :)

Along with the CBI* theater, the campaign in the Aleutian Islands during World War 2 is probably the least read about by a lot of people.
    http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-C-Aleutians/

Mike
    *China-Burma-India