Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

69-70, Fender Jazz Bass, $1700...good price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flash, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I was in one of my local guitar shops...and he had a beautiful 69-70 vintage Sunburst Jazz Bass, it was marked $1700...I'm sure I could talk him down...any thoughts?

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The "Vintage Guitar Price Guide 2002" lists the value for a Sunburst 1969 Jazz to be from $1,700 to $2,300

3. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks!

Would you buy it given you had the money?

Would you pay the $1700

Might have to go in and play it...never played a Fender.

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Me personally? No but it's not a bad price if it's clean and original. For $1,700 I'd buy a used MIJ Fender Jazz, pop a J-Retro in it, do a nice setup on it and pocket a grand but that's me.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If it's really nice and you really like it, go for it. It would have to be REALLY nice for me to consider it in that price range.

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Here's a link to where you (and everyone else who wants to) can get their own copy of the 2002 Vintage Guitar Price Guide. I am one of the contributors to this publication (unpaid) and send in monthly surveys to Gil Hembree on actual confirmed vintage bass sales.

Click Here for info on the Vintage Guitar Price Guide

7. if it is in excellent shape, that is a good deal IMO.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If it is, in fact, totally original with an original case, that's a great price. I sold a '72 about a year ago for $2350 in Southern Cal.