Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

69 or 71 jazz- I made a decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I bought the 71 Jazz on thursday!! OMG, I cannot believe the powerful-intense tone of this monster! I gigged with it friday night, and we're in the studio all weekend, and the engineers (and everyone else) flipped-out over the sound of this baby (nu-metal).

Yes it indeed looks as good in person as it does in the pictures. It has all of it's original finish with only a few tiny dings and small arm wear on the upper wing. The guy even retained all it's original pieces. I left the DiMarzio's on for now, but they sound dated, so I'll be calling up Duncan soon.

The first two pics are just as I picked it up and got the bass to the practice studio where I immediately disassembled it for a thorough cleaning, restring and setup. The last two pics are how it looks now.

I absolutely love this Jazz! There is nothing like vintage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. That looks really nice. When you call up Duncan, be sure to get black pickup covers. It'll complete the super old school look. :)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If it sounds so great, why change the pickups? What do you mean by "dated"? Looks like an awesome bass. Congrat!!!!

4. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    So, you got the 71, congrats, and those old DiMarzios are pretty good, why do you wanna change them?

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Those DiMarzio's are all mid-range...just like that early Billy Sheehan sound...way too P-bassy bark, that neck pickup is way overbearing. That all mid-barky sound is way dated to me. I really had to dial things in and out to get anything of a full traditional J-bass sound. Not my cup o' tea...I like deep lows and snappy highs.

I got the original grey bottom pickups along with the bass and I popped them in real quick. Now that's more of what jazz sounds I like to hear.