Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'69 SVT Question - impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by todd 4ta, Sep 5, 2005.

1. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I just picked up an SVT head that I'm pretty sure is in the 1969 range. It has black rocker switches, two black toggle switches, there is an attached speaker cable, and the s/n is 100230.

My question is that there isn't an impedance switch or anything to say what impedance it will be wanting to see in a cab.

The attached speaker cable is for use with an SVT cab (with a DIN type connector like my fliptop B-18 had). There is an additional speaker output for a 1/4" connector.

What impedance should my cabinet have for this amp - 2, 4 or 8 ohm? I would guess 4 ohm, but I want to know for sure before I hook it up to check the amp out. I haven't turned it on yet.

Thanks!

2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Also, what are my cabinet options that will have the correct connector to match up with the speaker cable on the SVT. Again, it is similar to the plugs on a '60's fliptop I think.

Can I just use the 1/4" speaker jack without using the attached speaker cable? If yes, what impedance cab should I use.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    that cable is a safety feature,,, if there is no speaker attached... the amp will not work. you can get the female end for it probably at fliptops and possibly modify your cab, or get a cab that has that type of input jack, or simply replace the cable with a 1/4" jack. the amps impedence is 4 ohms with speaker jack #1 connected to a cab and 2 ohms with speaker jacks #1 & #2 connected. (use a 4 ohm cabs). the speaker jack #2 has a switch built into it so there is nothing to manually change. when you plug into jack #2, the amps impedence is 2 ohms. dont hook up a single 4 ohm speaker to jack #2. use #1 for a single 4 ohm speaker. i also think you can use a single 2 ohm cab if you just want to use speaker output #2, but i havent seen many 2 ohm cabs in my day & i think you could only do that if you replaced the connected cable with a regular 'ole output jack

4. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Thanks! I've ordered the correct jack, and an adapter cable to use the attached cable with a 1/4" jack. That should get me started.

I would like to use two 4 ohm cabs to yield a 2 ohm load on the 1/4" speaker output, but I think I'll wait for the cable to come.

Does anyone know for sure if I can use the 1/4" jack alone, and what impedance to match with it?

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I think, (someone here will undoubtably correct me if I'm wrong) your transformer will be happier if you run one 4 ohm cab off each output rather than loading one output down to two ohms.

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    i dont think it matters, the speaker outs are wired in paralell so it should be the same thing either way... 2 ohms. but i dont think you can use "just" that 1/4" jack since the ch # 1 cable connector prevents the amp from working unless it is connected to the correct type input jack. make sense?

7. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I went back and picked up the '73 SVT 8x10 they had with the correct 4-pin jack. I hooked it up and the amp sounds great.

Thanks for all the help!

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Hard to go wrong there... :cool:

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    so what did you pay for it all? are the lines & text on the faceplate blue or black?

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    The lines and text on the '69 are blue.

For two SVT heads (a '69 and mid-70's Selmer) and two SVT 8x10's (one '73 and one newer SVT Classic) I paid a total of just under $2800 (including tax).

I had a pretty good Labor Day.

The Selmer SVT and SVT Classic cab are going to my good friend Tim Cole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
  12. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Here is the one that was listed as a 1969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far it sounds great, I haven't really looked inside yet. The grill is refinished and the logo is missing.

13. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Here is the one that was listed as 1976-79 (that is going to Tim)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You're killing me man! :D

I just sent you a PM to see if you could take dimensions real quick so I can get a road case ordered. Also, is there a serial number on it anywhere so I can further look into the date of manufacture?

For SVT gurus.......how do you take your signal to FOH? I assume a good mic is in order?

15. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    http://users.aol.com/bluemuse/ampeg.html

you may be able to check the caps to get a more exact date.

the grill logo was not added till the late 70's

it will fit into the same case as an SVT CL - EXCEPT, you'll need to trim out the foam to fit around the metal pieces that you wrap the cord around.

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I thought '69 blue line amps had the metal toggles on the front...those plastic switches came in around '70-'71, or so I've been told.

Mine looks like the newer one - I believe it's a '76 or '77 - Magnovox, not Selmer.

That's some serious amplification there- turn both of those off standby at once & you'd be likely to trip a 15 amp breaker. :cool:

17. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    The black toggles are metal, with a thin flat tip. It's possible they aren't original. So far I haven't seen any other pictures of SVT's with that type of switch (but I've only seen pics of about 10 blue lines). The pics of other blue lines I've seen have the chrome metal toggles that are shaped kind of like a baseball bat.