1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6mm vs 1/4" output jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by failuresXbass, Aug 28, 2007.

1. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

Jul 19, 2006
    SoCal
    can you buy a metric output jack?

Reason I ask, just bought some cables and the plugs are metric. While the fit, if something brushes up against me (im in a punk band, things always brushes up against me), it causes crackling through the amp.

When inspecting the whole thing, it is obvious the new cable is a little loser than my old one.

any input?

2. I hate those metric plugs. If you move at all it sounds like a bad cable, which in effect it is.
    I had one cable with them on, replaced them with ¼” because it drove me nuts.

On the other hand I tried out a stomp box that had those jacks, felt like I was going to break it when I removed the cables.

MM

3. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

Jul 19, 2006
    SoCal
    yeah, i really would have like to know before I bought them, but i either didnt notice, or the site doesnt say.

I hesistate to mention the company - but what do other guys with the bayou cables do?

4. The ones I recieved from Bayou were 1/4" jacks.

Bayou only use G&H or Neutrik Jacks, both companies only produce 1/4" jacks (no 6mm that I can find) [Ok, yeah, they make other things, but they dont make 6mm Jacks as far as I am aware]

Have you tried contacting Butch about this before spreading bad rep about?

5. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

Jul 19, 2006
    SoCal
    im am not trying to spread bad rep - i have no intentions of returning the cables, as a matter of fact I like them. I would rather change the output jack.

My question wasn't about butch and your insinuation insults me.
    It was :
    1. Metric output jacks,
    and failing that,
    2. what other users had done.

no where did I post anything negative.

6. I may be crazy but I recall reading somethign about the Black/gold neutrik ends that Butch uses are indeed 6mm.

I think i saw it on his site somewhere or in a person e-mail and I can be completely wrong since I can;t find evidence of it but I am in the works of lookign for that.

EDIT: I decided I am crazy since all the info I can find on both G&H and the Neutrik connectors supplied by Butch at Bayou cables indicated the plugs are 1/4 inch.

7. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

Jul 19, 2006
    SoCal
    i just noticed its slightly smaller than the cable i was using. I assumed they must be metric. Not the most scientific method - but that was my conclusion.

I have tried searching for metric output jack - with little luck so far.

~~EDIT~~
    maybe i am nuts, and just need a new output jack

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Contact Butch and maybe he can provide metric jacks. He handles more than just cables.

As for my experience with Bayou, I've had nothing but fast service and great products. In fact, I placed a $150 order today for a bunch of cables I need in my home studio.

Just curious...were your old cables Monsters? Monster uses slightly larger than 1/4" plugs which can "stretch" the socket and make standard 1/4" cable fit loosely.

9. I don't even think we cave confirmation that his new cables are Bayou... We kind of assumed since he asked about them.

Another edit. . . Since I bother the guy almost daily askign about custom cables and such, I asked if he uses any 6mm jacks. We will get to the bottom of this shortly.

Edit once more: As proof of this guys great customer service, I sent an e-mail out no less than 5 minutes ago and here is what butch said.

"The G&H plugs are 1/4". Neutriks are 6mm. The Switchcraft 1/4" jack works fine with either. Thanks."

I knew I read it somewhere that the neutriks were 6mm.

What kind of cables did you get failuresXbass?

All my cables are the Neutrik ends, I have patch cables and all the cable sin my rig are from Bayou. I do notice a slight difference in the tightness of the fit however I haven't experienced any problems. Maybe the wear on your jack has some influence on it, try replace it with a new 1/4 jack it may fit snugger.

10. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

Jul 19, 2006
    SoCal
    my old cable was some guitar center p.o.s.
    my new cable are from butch. again - i didnt want this to cast any neg. light on bayou - the cables are great and service was excellent.

i have tried several cables, they all seem to fit well - with this one being just slightly loose.

11. what kind of plug did you get.

Ps: I don't think you are bashin him at all. The fact that he uses 6mm jacks means nothing. His experience, work and service are still pheniminal. It's unfortunate, you may be able to explain the situation to him and I bet he would ship you over a new jack (provide dyou know how to solder).

12. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

Jul 19, 2006
    SoCal
    i believe they are the g&h's. they arent in front of me, but they appear to be the same from his site. its the stock jack (geddy lee sig) maybe ill just switch in a switchcraft.

13. That's odd. I have a stock Geddy Jazz too (2 weeks old) and i use the neutrik plugs (the 6mm ones) and it works fine. as mentioned it feels a tiny tiny bit looser as i plug it in, however it plugs in tight and it can wiggle around a little but i just tested it, wiggling it to the extremes and i had no crackeling through my amp.

As mentioned before, maybe your previous cable stretched out your jack. Or it is quite possible there is a short in the wire. . . Even thoguh I am sure Butch is a cable makign robot, robots make mistakes sometimes too.

14. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

Jul 19, 2006
    SoCal
    ill give it a shot with another bass - and go from there.
    thanks for your help -

15. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Butch made a pair of speakon to 1/4" cables for me a while back - and I dig them - high quality and GREAT service.

However - if you are going to be flailing about onstage I say just get a 1/4" cable - send it back to butch and get the right size -

think KISS here.

It's much easier to replace the cables then to change out ALL the jacks in your signal chain.

16. interesting...because I've never even SEEN 6mm jacks...:meh:

I've seen 6.35mm jacks which IS a 1/4" jack...but I've never come across 6mm ones...

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Exactly right, although there are acceptable (and necessary) tolerances to that. Neutrik calls 'em 1/4" in the US market too: http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/203_63341/Plugs_group.aspx

18. Well to be anal, 6.35mm is 0.249999999745 inches.

Haha, whatever it may be 6.35mm or 6mm I know the metric ones are indeed slightly smaller than the imperial ones. But as mentioned before it usualy doesn't cause any problems. And as mentioned above, there are tolerances, not every plug can be exact.

19. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

Jul 19, 2006
    SoCal
    this topic has caught everyones attention. haha
    i will try a dif. bass tomorrow - and let everyone know what happens

20. Well when yuo mention Bayou cables everyone has to defend the guy since he's loved around here haha.

Very interested in the outcome of this, it could be the jack, the cable... have you thought about the internal wiring?

Either way, Butch did "screw" up on a cable I ordered, the wires were connected incorrectly i guess he had an improper wiring diagram but he was very helpful and sent me a replacement free of charge (including shipping). If it is the cable send him a shout, im sure he will be very helpful.