Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6String Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Aug 15, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    For under $650 , I have these choices:
    Cort Artisan A6 (Neck-trough)
    Ibanez SR406 (Bolt On) 5 Piece
    Spector NS2000 Q6 (Bolt On)
    Dean Edge Quilt 6 (Bolt On)
    Tobias "Toby" Pro 6 (Neck-trough) 5 Piece

What recomendations can you do based on Experience with these basses.??
    The lowest Action Possible (without fret noise), best playability , best tone.
    Consider also the Ibanez SR1306 and SR1206 and Yamaha RXB6JM [John Myung](If i can get em Used)
    Style: Progressive Metal /Slap/Tap

2. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    No recommendations....but isn't it cool what $650 will buy these days?

3. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I'd rather get a lower cheeper model from a more expensive make eg,cheeper spector rather than the Dean or the Ibanez.

Pedro

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I noticed the Cort/Curbow wasn't on your list. Is it that you don't care for them, or did you over-look them?
    I played one of these the other day and almost walked out of the store with it. The Cort/Curbow-6 is in your price range (about $600 sale price) and probably has better playability than any other bass on your list. Check one out if you can ;).

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have played the REAL Curbow Exotic Petite 6...
    But according to CORT's Website ... There is no Cort Curbow 6
    At least, they dont show it in the Website.
    But I tend to like the Sound of wood . (That's why the Warwicks are my favorite basses but I just cannot afford one)

If you can help me where to get a Cort Curbow 6 , you will be very helpful to me.
    Thanks.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    What about a Fernandes Gravity 6 ??
    I have not found much information about it.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mars has them, and anyone on the web that sells the 5 should have the 6 as well.

But if you like the sound of wood, make sure you play one of these babies first. I like the way they sound, but the body is luthite and the fingerboard is ebanol, the only wood in the bass is the neck.

8. naka-pako

naka-pako

Aug 11, 2000
    Curbow 6 is a little unbalanced (neck heavy). I'd settle for the IBANEZ SR406 (I like the sound of wood)....d;)

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes indeed, the Curbow 6 was there at Mars.
    I have played 1 Luthite bass, The first Ergodyne that Ibanez put on the market.
    I didnt like it,and didnt like the sound that "THAT" bass produced. (Maybe because the pickups obstructed they way I slap. Loved the contoured body)
    Im gonna have it in my Bass Arena.. to see who survives and gets to my home.)
    I live in South America, and I can only order Online for shipment to Miami. (That's what makes my choice a Little difficult)

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Cort Artisan 6 is the only six-string bass I own and I think it's a phenomenal value! Great action, huge variety of tone and beautiful appearance. Not all that light but otherwise, I can find no fault. I doubt seriously that you would be disappointed with it.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Cort Artisan looks like hte best shot of the basses mentioned here.
    But really.. What about a Tobias Toby Pro 6 ??
    Looks very nice and can be bought at $499

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Fernandes 6 has the absolute tightest spacing at the nut I've ever seen. I couldn't put the tip of my fingers between the strings. Not fun.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Exactly. This is why it cracks me up nowadays when I hear this or that sucks. Try being on a budget and having to choose from:

A Tiesco Del Ray four pickup bass

A Western Auto house brand ( a really ugly copy of a really bad copy) or

The Tele clone at Sears ("yeah, it's a Fender. I'm not into names so I took the label off").

Ahh, the good old days.

14. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Ahhhh yes, Brad...the good old days....:) I remember a bass that I think came from LaFayette Electronics. It was pretty goo...if you liked your action an inch off of the fretboard...:)
    I was just telling my nephew, that even the cheapest bass today, is better than what a lot of us stated on.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I had a Lafayette amp. Used to really look forward to their catalogue:D

I stopped by a store in Lemoyne, PA on my way back home. It was too wild....lot's of old equipment, the majority of which just like I had owned or used before. A B-15, an SVT, old Sunn Gear, a Shure PA head, Kustom bass amp, etc. Turns out the owner and I are the same age and apparently listened to the same styles (a bunch) of music.

16. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I had a LaFayette amp too. It had a Jensen speaker in it and stood up to a lot of abuse in my younger days...:)