6T-6B as preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Fed up with my sound, i'm looking for new options to explore. My main option right now is hooking up my GT-6B into the effects return jack of my bass 350. so far, so good. I'm starting to like the different tone palates i can get. The SVT is nice and fat, old-school sounding especially with a little bit of stompbox thrown in. The SWR model is hi-fi as can be, with a quick response great for slap. And with all the effects to choose from, I feel like a kid in a candy store!
    Any of you guys try out this setup? I'm gonna run some of my new patches at practice tomorrow and see how they do. Who knows, a QSC might be taking the spot of that old SWR head in the near future.
  2. hey, cool question, I have the Gt6B too and I had the same idea. I also wanted to ask you about this.. because the GT6B's got a cool preamp section with Ampeg, Fender, SWR and trace elliot models.. so it must certainly be possible to combine it with a power amp.. or not?... I'm very interested in it
    I know a guitar player who got a really great sound and he only had a good Power amp and a Metal Zone distortion. So it should also be possible with the gt6b!!
    let me know if someone has tried out, please.
    nice greets
  3. Lots of people do this. But most use the GT-6B as a dedicated preamp before a power amp. It's a little inconvenient having to bend down to adjust your volume, but works great otherwise.
  4. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005

I just bought a GT6b and I was considering sell my combo to buy a power amp and a new cab.
    Any new experience with this?
    I heard some people sayn' a GT6b cannot drive correctly a power amp...is it true? :meh:
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I played straight to PA through a GT-6B a couple times when it got out.
    According to my ears, audiences and soundguy, results were less than stellar compared to my usual SansAmp.

6. To be fair to the GT-6B, it's is NOT a preamp. It is an effects processor/modeler with basic tone shaping capabilities. It's output gain is not up to par with a dedicated preamp (like JazzAd's Sansamp), so it may come up short trying to push a power amp that needs a certain incoming voltage. I'd say just play with it (bass - GT-6B - Combo input) for a while and see if you actually like what it does before you dump the combo for a power amp and cab. If you don't like the Boss unit, at least you still have a fully functional amp and not just a power amp and cab.
  7. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    I'have also a Behringer BDDI21, the Sansamp clone, if i put it after the gt6 the input will be fine for a power amp?
    I've read that the BDDI can run a power amp.
    what you think about it?
  8. Jazz Ad

The BDDI is a bit weak to properly run a power amp but it works, assuming you use the jack output.
  9. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    What you mean?
  10. There's two outs on the Sansamp BDDI, the 1/4" "Instrument Level" jack and the XLR "Line Level" jack. The 1/4" jack is used when chaining the BDDI from one effect to another on a pedal board, and maintains the output voltage passing through. The XLR jack knocks the output voltage down to an acceptable level for a line level input to a mixing board.

Jazz is just saying to use the 1/4" jack and not the XLR jack to your power amp.

(that is what you meant, right?)
  11. Jazz Ad

12. THCbass

Sep 19, 2003
    That's exactely what I do for two years now : Bass through GT6b (as pre-amp/DI ) then to my Yamaha powered mixer .
    My Peavey combo is collecting dust since then .