6th string tuned to C?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by soontobedead, Aug 31, 2005.

1. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    hi there, i have a 6-string with a 34 in. scale and i wondered if my 6th string would stand the tension of tuning it to C.
    the strings are stock ones and the gauge is standard (dunno about the 6th, but the 5th is 105).
    Thanks for the replies.

2. I'm not sure which string you mean by 'sixth', but on my 6 the lowest-tuned(or top)string is a low B; tuning it up a half-step should be no problem. The highest-tuned(bottom)string is C- either way, tuning to C should not put any major stress on the bass. BTW, more or less 'standard' tuning for a 6-string bass guitar is BEADGC.
  3. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    sorry... my bad... should've been more specific... yes, indeed, it's the B string... Thanks for the reply
  4. Tuning your B up to C shouldn't hurt anything. If you do, what's the rest(of the tuning)going to be?
    BTW, you could pretty much tell which string you were talking about by the reference to the fifth/.105 string(aren't I clever :rolleyes: ).
  5. if you do uptune i would recomend a lighter gauge string, like a .120-.125
  6. Although I am a fan of lighter strings, B to C is only a half step, Keeping the .130(if thats whats on there) wont hurt.
  7. I've tuned my low B up to D once, without any problem at all.
    C shouldn't be a problem either!
  8. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    i can't believe my luck, for christ's sake... i tuned my bass a whole step up (CFBEAD...) and my C string snapped.... i didn't have time to relieve the tension or lower the action (i didn't do it before counting it wouldn't snap :rolleyes: ) and it popped... CRAP!!!! i hate my luck :scowl:... my strings weren't old or anything... i guess it was way too much tension... :bawl:
  9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not sure why your B/C would snap from only going up a half step :confused: ,
    but that tuning should have been: C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db . :eyebrow:

Also, if you are tuning the whole bass up a half step, you're probably going to have to tighten your truss rod a little to make up for the added tension on the neck. One string is usually not that big of a change, but all of them would be.