6x10 & 2x12 cab build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ianworz, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    FBC1123A-B406-473C-ACAB-1159A6202FBD.jpeg 521B7B12-BB6A-49C7-9D2D-293EDFBAC2CB.jpeg 0C5FCD1E-210D-4288-8DA1-B7FAEEDD160F.jpeg D6AB4977-B3C7-4333-A0B5-4636DC0AA83D.jpeg Well underway. 1/2” construction. Braced. Will be fully sealed and lined. Hopefully over-engineered. Custom eminence drivers when funds are available.

mattwear, crguti, Bassdirty and 8 others like this.
  2. I'm sure the boxes are solid enough, they look amazing :)

What drivers are going into them?

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Ditch those phone plugs and go Speakons before it's too late!

Otherwise they look great!

crguti, S-Bigbottom, yonkrz and 8 others like this.
  4. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    I concur that now is the time to put Speakons on. It IS nice looking work.

5. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Even if you have all jacks at the moment I promise you that sooner or later you'll curse yourself if you don't put speakons* in each cab. This from experience. Shame to compromise such a splendid job...

How are you planning to finish them?

*Added later speakon +and+ jack I mean.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Bassdirty, BassikBrad and TheReceder like this.
  6. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thank you kindly man.
    6 Custom eminence b810’s @ 24 ohm
    And two eminence bp112’s. May add a tweeter to the 2x12 depending on results.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  7. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Unfortunately the Svt II Pro that will power these bad boys is 1/4” or banana plug only. I don’t see why some solid 14ga wire/ 1/4” speaker cables won’t suffice.

And they’ll get stained black and then clear coated to match my head cab. Grille clothe will be oxblood/silver and piping will be oxblood.

Bassdirty likes this.
  8. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Aforementioned head A87C4D9B-1080-4F9E-AE86-1F5B6370609A.jpeg

9. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    And this recently completed bass will make all the noise. 19B762CC-8774-4067-BA02-4037A5495715.jpeg

10. Redbrangus

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Shazam!

11. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Also, what do you all find the advantages of speakon connectors to be? I used them previously with an SVT-6 Pro and (abhorrent) 410HLF and aside from the ability to lock them, I didn’t perceive a difference. Am I missing something?

12. Redbrangus

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    They're cheap, dependable, easy to wire, easy to repair, accommodate a larger gauge wire and a larger external jacket, and they're rated to handle larger power. They were, in fact, designed specifically to be a loudspeaker connector, unlike any of the alternatives. But more importantly, there is no possibility of shorting out the output of an amp when engaging or disengaging the connector under load, which is emphatically not true of a quarter-phone.

Oh yeah...and they lock.

13. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I see the inability to short while connecting/disconnecting under load (although, that shouldn’t be happening regardless, save for wild accidents) being a plus but power rating is just going to be correlative to wire gauge, right?

EDIT: I see now that the connector itself does indeed have a higher amperage rating

14. Redbrangus

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    I did this to a project SVT 810 I've been working on for a few years.
    SVT panel.jpg
    I guess it does makes sense to have the same connector on the cab as the amp--then you don't have an oddball speaker cable to deal with. But like @JimChjones, I'm of the opinion that you'll probably want to do it at some point and now is an optimal time to do these particular boxes.

crguti likes this.
  15. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  16. I take it you went with some of the cabinet recommendations in their flyers to help with your cab design?

17. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Funk With Me likes this.
  18. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Nah (and yes), it’s just them or Weber, and Weber refuses to share t/s parameters, so the 6x10 is designed around the square-back 8x10 and the 2x12 is explicitly designed to match those width and depth parameters + the volume parameters for 2 BP112’s.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  19. ianworz

ianworz

Oct 4, 2011
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Solid argument

20. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    There's nothing to stop you from putting speakons on the cab and using it with a cable that has speakon on one end and 1/4" on the other. If you change amplifiers and get one that supports speakons, then you just replace the cable.

Nice job on the cabinets...

kentiki likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021