Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6x10 at 4ohm or 4x10+1x15 at 8 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FearandLoathing, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Im confused about the whole OHMS thing...

I am using a SVT3 Pro and dont know whether to get a SVT 6x10 at 4 ohms or a SVT 410HE and a SVT 1x15 at 8 ohms? woud 2 eight ohms cabs be able to suck out all 450 watts of power?
    would a 4x10 and 1x15 be to much low end ( i play 4 string) SO MANY QUESTIONS SO LITTLE TIME (Christmas present)

2. 6x10 = 4 ohms
    8ohm 4x10 + 8ohm 15 = 4 ohms

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The 410 + 115 setup will give you fantastic, full-range tone. 450 watts should be enough power, but be careful not to overdrive your amp, or you'll get the hyper-destructive SQUARE WAVES generated by clipping. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

4. can u explain these SQUARE WAVES and do u mean overdriveas in tube overdrive or just playing the amp to loud?

5. In solid state amps, if you drive the poweramp too hard, there is somehting that happens called clipping, where your signal forms the infamous "square wave(s)." This is terrible for speakers, from my understandings, it can cause abnormal vibrations in them among other things that could damage the speaker cone. It really has nothign to do wiht what your cabs are rated at or how many there are, its based solely on how hard you drive the power amp. If you drive it into clipping ocassionally, your speakers will be fine, but if you are clipping on every note you play, then dont quit your day job because you'll be forkin out cash for some new cones.

Peace
    Graham

6. So this 4x10 and 1x15 is sounding pretty good, do you think it will be to much low end?

7. F&L:
    Like the other guys said, the 4x10 plus the 1X15 will give you the same impedance as the 6X10 (given the specs you provided), and they'll have no problem booming your 450W.

I would personally go for this setup, instead of the sole 6x10, but it depends on the sound you want. Having the 1X15 there will probably give you a more bassy and warm sound, like you said, but i doubt it will be TOO bassy, because you still have the 4x10 there to provide the highs. Like Munji said, the 4x10 + 1x15 setup will give you a fuller tone range, and more presence.

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Try out an Eden 18. You'd be surprised how much they pump on the low B and lower strings.

9. I would also agree to go with the 4x10HE and 1x15"...you have a very similar set up to my current rig(SVT410HE and Ampeg B2 Combo). I am planning later on selling the combo for the SVT1x15" and a sepereate head(possibly the exact same set up you are looking at)..I love the set up, The 15 compliments the 410 very well. I just wish for more power and a better 15".