6X10 cab wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rumblinbass, Nov 4, 2005.

1. rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I just found out that the SWR Golliath Sr. 610 is a 4 ohm cab...How do they do that?

A 4 ohm cab means, most likely, that there is 2 8 ohm loads in parallel. So then you either 2 sets of 3 speakers @ 8 ohms (?), or 4 speakers @ 8 ohms and 2 speakers @ 8 ohms. If it is the second combination then power is mismatched, meaning that not all 6 drivers are the same impedance which means that they are not all pulling the same amount of power.

The only way I can figure you can wire 6 drivers is by either having all 6 @ 4 ohms which will end up with a 6 ohm load, or all 8 ohm drivers with a 12 ohm load.

Of course, with most amps able to handle 4 or 8 ohm loads the 6 ohm cab would be more desireable.

If anybody has any insight as to how a 610 cab @ 4 ohms is accomplished please let me know...it's driving me nuts!

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    The one I have (an old Traynor YC-610), along with a couple others I've encountered, have three pairs of 8-ohm drivers wired in series. The three series pairs (16 ohms each) are wired in parallel, for a cab impedance of 16/3, or 5.33 ohms.

Mine is marked 5.3 ohms on the back of the cab; I've seen others described as 4 ohm cabs. I have no idea why they do that; I can only guess that it's "close enough" to 4 ohms, and they choose to err on the low side for amp safety....
  3. that may be fine for tube amps (well, better) but what about with SS amps?

I remember seeing this being brought up about the ampeg 610 (its 4 ohm)
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    My Bergantino NV610 is marked as a 4 ohm cab. I use the 4 ohm tap on my Mesa 400+, and have had no problems, so I am assuming the cab is close enough to 4 ohms.
  5. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    I beleive the Ampeg 6x10 uses 24 ohm drivers.
  6. I dont think it does

Im sure its wired stupidly (24 ohm drivers would be fine if they were all in parallel giving a 4 ohm load

Im sure the middle 2 speakers are wired differently . . . probably wrong tho
  7. churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    I really like to know myself. I'm trying to collect 6 10" speakers to reach the same ohms.

What about 3 pairs of 10" at 4 ohms wired series/parallel? However I don't know if its safe for the head I plan to use. "Peavey Pro Bass 500" Its spec is 350W @ 4ohm and
    500W @ 2ohms. So far I am looking to get six Eminence Legend BP102-4ohm 200W.
    However being new with this concept kind of gets me nervous.

Will this work or will I fry my amp?

Please help! :hyper:

See here: http://www.usspeaker.com/speaker wiring-1.htm
  8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Three pairs of 4 Ω wired series parallel would be a 2.67Ω load. Fine for the Peavey, but you'll be stuck with always getting 2Ω capable heads later on. I'd personally just go with the 8 Ω versions and get a 5.3Ω load. More versatility down the road..... on second thought, I'd just get 8Ω S2010's instead. They're efficiency is enough higher than the BP102's that you wouldn't really notice much difference in the loudness between 2.67 Ωs and 5.33Ωs.
  9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    With either 6 ohm or 24 ohm drivers.
  10. churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    Who has the S2010s and do they cost more?