Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6x10 showdown: Mesa vs. Bergantino

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Feb 19, 2006.

1. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Has anyone been able to play through both the mesa 6x10 and the bergie 6x10? I'm wondering how the two compare and contrast? Which cab is louder?

2. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Waiting for Tom to chime in......

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't played the Mesa, actually, though I am incredibly impressed with the NV610.

Tom.

4. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Tom, how does the tone/volume of the NV610 compare to the Mesa deisel 4x10 deep?

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Hey what about the Goliath Sr.?

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have not directly A/B'd them, so it's hard to say. My preliminary results would lead me to believe that you can drive the NV610 much harder, and that it probably has more volume potential. The Deisel 4x10 is a very well balanced cab, and the tweeter is not overly bright, but quite good (especially for the time that it came out). The overall vibe of each cab is rather different, I think, so I'll reserve any such judgment until after this coming weekend (when I plan to try the old MB 4x10 versus the Sadowsky 4x10 and now apparently the NV610).

But keep in mind, the older Deisel "Deep" 4x10 is not going to sound identical to the current offerings from Boogie, much less their 6x10 (and my preference lies with the older RR and Deisel line of cabs).

Tom.

7. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Hi Tom,
    thankyou, I would really appreciate the comparison. i have an older mesa diesel cab now, so that's why I'm trying to find out about it vs. the Bergie.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Keep the Deisel, save up some cash (if necessary), then get the Bergie. :D

9. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Aaah, if I had the room for two big cabs I'd love to, but i have to pick between the two, and I know the Bergie will cost more than the Mesa will sell for, so I don't want to get the Bergie only to have it be a total waste. from the glowing reviews of the NV610 I read everywhere I'm sure it's a great cab, but I'm so happy with my current rig I'm wary to mess with it (save the 80 odd pounds switching to the Bergie will shed for me).