6x10 v.s 4x10 and 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Nov 12, 2003.

1. I searched and didn't find anything for this.

My situation..
    I have a ampeg B2R head, (Ampeg-b2r-350watts at 4 ohms)
    and I am about to upgrade cabinets.
    I play rock, and dont like things too punchy,
    I play a OLP (yes everyone hates them, but for some reason I like the sound a lot)
    I like a growl, warm, deep, with a little punch.

So should I get Ampeg 4x10's and 15.
    or Ampeg 6x10's.

If I get 4x10's.. I have a chance to get the HLF ones, so do you think those would sound better than the regular classics?

Thank you, for I have so much stress over this,
    I'm 15, and spend ALL my money on bass, and work Friday and Sundays to save up for this. So I have pretty much no social life during this bass saving time.. lol.
    - zach
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Check out the Bergantino 215, WOW!!! I just got in and sold one of the first shipment of the new Berg 215's and they are amazing!!!!!

Forsure a killer ROCK cab!

Also you might check out the 610, I know a number of guys have that here......

3. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    6x10 or 4x10+15: neither, you don't need that much rig. The Acme Low B2 http://www.acmebass.com/ is a great sounding box and is all the cabinet one needs. Your amp is just enough juice. Any room this cab won't fill will have a PA big enough to take up the slack. Keep that stage level as low as possible.
  4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I wish this were true for me, but it simply isn't. I'm currently swapping out the 15 cab (under my 410) for another 410. So are Indy's clubs that much more organized than Louisville's?? 75% of the time, if the club has a P.A., it's total crap. I play through my rig only and we bring our own P.A. for vocals & kick drum.

I would not be heard at all with one B2.
  5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, if you were to get the SVT410HLF, you couldn't add on another cab. The 410HLF only comes in 4 ohms, and the B2R's maximum load is 4 ohms. You could get an 8 ohm 410HE and an 8 ohm 15E, and that would be alright. However, the 610HLF is awesome. It has alot of good low end and nice highs nd mids. Great cab, i really prefer it over the 810E.
  6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Hey Macbeth! I didn't realize you were in Evansville!

If you decide to go with the 4x10/15 setup, let me know. The 15 I'm replacing is an Ampeg XVT-115en. Great cab, I just want another 410 for punch and volume. (and I got a great deal on the 410.)

If you're interested, shoot me an email or PM, & we'll work something out. I'd like to get $250 out of it (it's in good shape & has a new Eminence 15" driver - I currently have $340 invested in this cab), I just don't want to ship it or lose my arse by trading it in.

fourstringflavor at hotmail
  7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I agree, I've had 2 210's and 2 410's. Great sounding cabs, but they don't project worth a crap, and don't feed me the power line..... if 2100 watts can't drive them then there is something wrong.
    Again I think they sound great and for studio setup, killer cab, but not a live cab for even a small club unless no one is there.... :)
  8. While TimmyP's assertion that a single Acme 2X10 is enough for any situation is obviously subjective (and in my opinion, wrong), this is just as bogus. And yeah, I saw the smiley.

As a dealer for competing brands, you have to hold yourself to a higher standard of objectivity than Johndoe Bassplayer when crticising other brands. Otherwise it looks like you are shilling.
  9. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Get the 6x10. If you need more sound, add a 4x10.

I've never not heard a 15 I didn't like. :D

10. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    As long as someone is open about being a dealer, I don't have a problem. Yes, his affinity for a product may be based on whether he sells it. But he may sell it because he's heard the rest and took a line on to broaden the local market.

Most folks affinity for a product is based on the fact that they own it. But, it was chosen from the mere handful of brands that were available in their area. So while they aren't gonna make any money from their recommendations, their recommendation is based on a very narrow range of choices. Here, the locals have Ampeg, Eden, G-K, Hartke, Peavey, and SWR. Except for my friend's Acme (that I turned him on to), I don't think I've seen anything else. (It's like mixers - everyone here loves their Mackie, with a few having Yamaha and Behringer. If they'd have been exposed to a Soundcraft or Allen & Heath, they's likely have made a different choice.)

I've worked in a variety of room sizes, with guys who have had: 8x10; 4x10 + 1x15; 4x10; 1x15; 2x10. Every one of them was loud enough that it compromised the quality of the mix, and this was after I got them to turn down from where they wanted to be. I like a LOT of bass in the mix, but it has to be RIGHT, and that's nearly impossible with all that room rumble coming from the stage rig.
  11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Unless he's using a 2 channel amp (which he's not - said he had a B2R) this will not work for him. Any 6x10 I've seen is 4 ohms.... B'sides, it wouldn't be nearly enough power to push the 610 to capacity, let alone drive it AND another power-sucking cab.

So, you're trying to say you don't like 15's right? I've never not haven't heard it put that way.

And about the other post up there... no one said anything about Acme's not being great cabs. I stated simply that a 2x10 wouldn't begin to cut the mustard for me on stage. I'm pretty sure B. Barrett was saying the same.
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The classic 410 and 115 option is a good choice for the B2R. It will probably be louder than the 410HLF by itself. I think the HLF is a better sounding cab, but by using the Classic series you get more options. You can choose, 1 115, 1 410, or both depending on the gig.
  13. I'm a believer in the modular approach. Seems like Mike's 15 would be a good place to start, you can always add another cab.
  14. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus." "Go ahead - squeeze the wheeze - many people like to."
  15. Off Topic:
    Note to TimmyP and MikeA - Guys, You read too much into what I said. I have no problem with dealer and rep participation, I welcome it. I certainly have no problem with Brian recommending something he sells or expressing his opinion when he said neither sets of Acme 4x10s or 2X10 worked for him. I value his opinion even when it disagrees with mine since I know he has a boatload of experience to back it up.
  16. i like a punchy, but deep sound, but not too punchy, because i dont like it like that. So what would probably sound better, the 4x10's and 15, or 6x10s?
  17. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I was just at one of my local GC's sunday to try out, you guessed it the Ampeg 410HLF and the 610HLF. Two different sounding cabs. I also tried them with a B2R head cause thats the head I own (as of now that is). The 410HLF actually sounded deeper, as it should. But the 610 was louder but more midrangy. I'm leaning more towards the 6x10 so I can have the speakers higher and closer to my ears. The 4x10 will just hit my legs. Im up on stage competeling against a hard hitting drummer and a guitarist with a Marshal 1/2 stack. What I really want to try out is a stack of 2, 2x12 cabs or a 4x12.
  18. yeah, thanks, but what about the 4x10s and 15, just regular classics
  19. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Get the cab with better bottom and less mod bark - your soundman will thank you. As in this case it's the smaller one, get it and and lean it back so it points at your head. Part of the better bottom is because in tall or stacked cabinets, the drivers in the top cabinet will have a dip in their frequency response that is dependent on their distance from the floor:

2 feet will notch at ~140Hz
    2.5' at ~112Hz
    3' at ~95 Hz
    3.5' at ~ 80Hz
    4' at ~ 70Hz
    5' at ~ 57Hz
    6' at ~ 47Hz
    7' at ~ 40Hz
    8' at ~ 35Hz

But: the only people who will hear the highs from a 4x are those at whom it is pointed. The best results over all will be from a 1x, or a multi-way box (woofer + horn, or woofer + mid + high like the Acme).
  20. Sounds like you answered your own question (all tens would be more punchy than you like).