6x10 versus 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrevorCJ, Jun 1, 2012.

1. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    I have the option to buy an Ampeg 8x10 or a SWR 6x10 and I'm debating which one I should buy. I play in a metal band and I dig a good tone with low end but with a good amount of high end as well. My band plays shows every weekend and will be going on tour next week so space is also a factor I have to deal with which makes me lean towards the 6x10. Let me hear your opinions I want to know which you guys prefer.

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I own the swr goliath sr. the pre fender one with the black/grey pepper looking grill. not the chrome one. And love it. The pre fender swr cabs are what swr cabs should sound like. when they got bought out by fender they just didnt sound the same. Get an old one or just get the ampeg. My only complaint with my cab is the handles are too low to use to lift the cab onto a tall stage. a towel bar would be great. also my rack doesnt stay on top of it because of the slant design of the cab.

5457242658_2aeb105948.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0169 by spaz21387, on Flickr

3. Is there much difference in size between the 2?
    I'd go for the Ampeg, but you might like 1- a tweeter &, 2- a ported cab.
    Imo-the big part of the Ampegs sound IS that it's a sealed, tweeter-less cab, & that's what I like about it. The way it sits in a mix is legendary.
    The ported cab might go both lower & higher with a tweeter.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    you are right they are 2 very different cabs tone wise but both good cabs.

5. The Tweeter and port will be more appropriate if you like a more modern clean tone, if you are using overdrive or like a more punchy vintage tone, go with the ampeg. IMO moving and lugging those cabs is about the same amount of effort, even though the 810 is slightly bigger, you aren't really gonna be hefting either one by yourself, and they both have tilt wheels so either or...

make your decision on tone rather than size/weight in this case and IMO

6. spert

spert

Apr 20, 2007
  7. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

They're both excellent cabs, so it depends on what your tonal goals are - if you want deeper lows and alot of high end, the Goliath Sr is the better choice... If you're wanting to push alot of mids, and run OD/distortion, the Ampeg 810 is a better choice... I used to use a Goliath Sr in rehearsals while gigging with a Mesa PH610, and thought the Goliath SR was almost as good a cab as my Mesa - one of the best 610s on the market, IMO/IME...

- georgestrings

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Ever consider 2x15? I use two 1x15 cabs for easier handling. Sounds as good as a 6x10 IMO.

9. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I think it would depend on how your guitarist/s setup up their rigs. If it is more of a super scooped modern tone I would go Ampeg to fill in the hole in the middle. If it was more of a classic metal tone I might go SWR to fill in the bottom octave. However if they are playing using a more classic tone the Ampeg may still sound better.

It really depends what the overall sonic goal of the band is.

10. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I always prefer a 6x10 to an 8x10.
    To me the 6x10 is tighter, but still has that bottom.
    Easy on the back to.
    Berg. 6x10 case closed.

11. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    My guita player has a Peavey 6505+ with a Mesa boogie 4x12 and has a super tight tone kinda like djent styled. I want a hard hitting low end for the heavy slow parts but a sorta "clanky" sounding high end for faster parts which I had well with my last 1x15, now that were playing big venues the 1x15 just doesnt cut it. Most bands i play with use the Ampeg 8x10. I will probably go with that and in the future try the Ampeg 610 or mesa 610 and see how that is. I've played the Mesa 810 at a gig awhile ago but it's not in my budget.

12. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    I just found out it is a pre fender swr

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A Goliath Sr., say from 1997-2003, would be a very effective cab IMHO, if in good condition, priced low, and you like the sound. :cool:

14. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    You can't go wrong with either. The SWR might be a little more versatile tonally and easier to move. I owned that cab, and have a Bergantino 6x10 now, and they were both so much easier to move around then the fridge. If it's not out of your price range, I'd take a look at one too.

15. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I have a Goliath 410 ca. 1999 and an early 90's Ampeg 810. Never owned a 610 but I love the height of the 810, it's so easy to hear on stage with the top speakers almost at ear level. I have borrowed 610 cabs on occasion and they are not much more easily portable than 810's to me. With the wheels and handles on the the big cabs they all roll in fine.

If the Ampeg tone is what you want then you probably want to go with the Ampeg cab. I tried my Goliath 410 with my SVT-CL and found it just wasn't right for me so I bought the Ampeg 810 and have zero regrets. I prefer heavy midrange tone and never really needed the horn in the SWR and the highs, while angelic, were not what I was after.

I have recently purchased an early '70s Ampeg V-4B head for smaller rooms. I bought it from a fellow TB'er along with a custom made 2/15 + 2/6.5 cab from Low Down Sound. I'm loving the 2/15's and dial out most of the 2/6.5's and it's really clear and punchier than the 810 which sounds a little muddier to me. I will likely be using this cab as well with my SVT for larger rooms, especially if stairs are involved.

16. PatQ

PatQ

May 11, 2011
    Siegburg, Germany
    I also got a pre Fender SWR Goliath Sr and totally love it, it sounds great and the handling isn't much of a problem.

17. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    go with the pre fender swr. I practically stole mine for 400$ I hope you are getting a good deal too... You wont regret getting the swr its a great cab. and almost 50 pounds lighter than the ampeg!

18. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    I have 2 friends who would sell both of them to $350

19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Despite being ported, the Goliath Sr. does not go that low (-3db @ 55Hz). The Henry 8x8 goes much lower as does the Goliath 410. The Senior is a great cab but it was designed to cop some of the Ampeg vibe rather than have the typical SWR depth.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021