6x10 vs 4x10 or (2x10" & 4x10" )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretGrinder, Mar 22, 2001.

1. I'm getting a Labsystems 6x10" cab & 600w valve/MOSFET amp, made here in Australia.

I'm wondering how a 6x10" might compare to a single or double 4x10", or a 2x10" & a 4x10" ? Is there much difference between an 8x10 and 2 4x10s? And will a 6x10" cope with a low B ok if i go 5-string down the line? Anyone with experience in Ampeg 8x10s have any predictions?

2. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Look at the Ampeg SVT-610HLF. Its got the extended low range thingy that should take the low B very well. And it's a bit smaller and lighter than a 8x10.

I would get one if I needed it. :D
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Fret- I've had "the Elephant" several times over the years as rentals/house amps. I'm not familiar with Labsystems. One thing about the Ampeg that sets it apart and makes it tough to compare is that it is really like 4 cabinets within a single housing. There is a shelf that isolates each pair of 10's.

The good thing about two, 4x10's is that you don't always need to haul around the second cab since most 4x10's I know of pack a pretty good wallop, (I don't own that configuration, BTW). And the 4x10's I know of handle the B with no sweat.

I imagine a 6x10, like the 8x10, is a butt buster, too. (Luckily, I never had to transport them when I used them). :D
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've been using an SWR Goliath SR. 6x10 for about a year now, and I think it's the best of all worlds. It's bigger and louder than a single 4x10, but it's much easier to move around due to the attached casters and tilt-back handle. However it's small enough to fit in most vehicles easily. Definitely sounds better than an Ampeg 8x10, or any other 8x10 I've heard or owned. That sucker will get MUCH louder than I want to play, ever....
  5. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë - I think Labsystems' 6x10" is a bit lighter than the Ampeg, probbly cheaper over here, and i wanna keep the amp + cab paired (ie same manufacturer) unless i have a good reason not to - but thanks for the suggestion. What's the difference between the HLF and the ... the other one?

Rick'1, mchildtree - thanks for your advice, too. if there are any more people with opinions i'd be very glad to hear them.

- FretGrinder.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If I were going all 10's (and I am) I'd get a 410 and a 210 (which I did). That way, I can take two 10's, four 10's or six 10's to the gig. Very handy. The Eden D-210XLT and D-410XLT are monster cabs in their own right, and together they rule.

However, I've played with a D-115XL under a D-210XLT, and am sufficiently fond of that sound (which is noticeably different from six 10's) that I may just get a 115, too. Then the permutations and combinations of possible rigs become too numerous to calculate. And I even have an HP-48GX to calc it on.
  7. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    HLF is the extended low range thing.

Both the SVT-410HLF and SVT-610HLF have it.