Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6x10 Wars: Ampeg SVT-610HLF vs. SWR Goliath Senior

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EString, Jan 3, 2002.

1. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    How would you fellows compare the sound of the Ampeg SVT-610HLF to that of the SWR Goliath Senior?

The Goliath Senior is 1000W RMS and has a 110db sensitivity rating. The SVT-610HLF is 600W RMS and has a 98db sensitivity rating. Does this disparity make a huge difference? Is the Ampeg much quieter than the SWR?

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no contest. goliath sr. bigger bottom, punchier tone, louder, more power handling, etc, etc, etc.

jason

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Goliath Sr. is cleaner, louder and WAY punchier.

4. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i agree with the previous posts.... goliath sr. rocks

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I would also pick the goliath, but would rather go for a Epifani 6x10(or 3x12).

6. This may not apply to the 610s but my side by side comparison of my Goliath III with my buddy's SVT 410HLF had some curious results. With the same bass and amplifier (MIA Jazz, '76 Ampeg SVT) the Ampeg cab rated at 96dB was not noticeably quieter than the Goliath rated at 105dB (1W 1M). The Ampeg also had considerably more low end. Actually a LOT more. The Ampeg had more punch to me as well. It actually sounds a lot like the sealed Ampeg 810's. I suspect that the apparent volume thing vs 1W 1M ratings has a lot to do with the frequency response of the cabinets. The Ampeg has considerably more midrange frequency content than the SWR (famous for attenuated mids). To a meter the SPL is the SPL, to our ears, a sound with more midrange will sound louder than one with less midrange at the same metered SPL. The upshot of this is that you can't tell how a cabinet sounds by the numbers. You need to go out and try both cabs (and more). The results might surprise you. They surprised me. I'm a long time SWR fan and user and I'm trading my Goliath for the SVT 410HLF. It just sounds better to me (YMMV of course). That being said, SWR's construction is a bit better.

The two cabs are totally different sounding beasts. You want hifi go SWR, you want in your face, aggressive sound, not as refined, go Ampeg.
    The SWR will be cleaner for sure. I doubt that it's any louder in the real world.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Truer words were never spoken!