Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Which one's would yall reccomend for a decently affordable price? I'm thinking about getting one and just looking around..
  2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    SWR Goliath Senior. Most used ones go for $600-$700. Great cab!
  3. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Don't get an Ampeg 6x10. Not enough low end in my opinion unless you're playing in E.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Berg 610s=Best 610 today
    Used, maybe $850? Seen as low as $700
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'll absolutely second the Bergantino NV610. I'm a longtime evangelist of stacks of small amp cabs over a single big one and I've gone on record here as mocking the owners of "plus sized" cabs, but that one is really nice and I'm actually considering buying one right now. Handles a B very well despite the listed frequency response, has a lot of punch, and is really easy to move around despite being a 6x10. They're tough to find used though and pretty pricy when you find them.

Oh, and the Ampeg sucks.
  6. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I had a chance to play an Epi 610 (the NYC, now out of production) and that was a superb cab. Maybe you could try an Epifani UL?

Fixed it for you. :D
  7. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    yeah, i've heard about the epifiani but i havent tried it yet. I think on monday i'm going to go to my local shop and see what they have. i know they have the Bergantino 610 and i think a Genz Benz 610. I'm still not quite sure whether to just add a 212 or a 115 under my 410, or get a 610. But either way, tomorrow, something is happening. And trust me, i already know the ampeg sucks. :)
  8. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The Genz Benz cabinet is a monster. Its built like a tank. I've pumped some serious power through this cab, and I've yet to see the speakers move. I'd like some brighter highs, but that is just my personal preference. Very defined sound. Only drawback is the weight and size.

And no, the Ampeg doesn't suck. Its the only Ampeg cabinet that I've actually played and liked.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    jeez i have small experience with the 6x10 crowd. probably the biggest cab i'd consider. i'll second the notion that the bigegst contender is prolly a used swr as they have been around for so long.
  10. I really dig my ampeg 6x10. For my ears it's got as much low end as you want and pretty nice definition (in an old school sorta way), a lot more defined in the low end than my old epifani 212.
  11. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    :eek: One mans trash is anothers . . . . .
  12. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bergantino NV610. I've played it, it's awesome. You get them used for anywhere between 500 and 900.
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Genz benz is some LOUD shizzle.

The 400 head throught he 410 is outrageously loud... i was using an active bass with teh bad off, gain at 12, volume at 2 oclock, it was not even starting to consider clipping.
  14. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    well theres a berg. 610 at my local dealer and tomorrow i think i'm going to bring my genz benz 410 and some cash and see what i can do. if not, i'll look into a used ampeg or if i can find a genz benz 610 i'll jump on that.
  15. Get the Genz. I've never been disappointed with mine.
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I had the SWR for awhile, and liked it a lot. I now own the Berg and like it even better.

Note that these are two different animals. The SWR has a more modern sound due to the port and tweeter, whereas the Berg has a more vintage tone because it's sealed. The Berg isn't a one-trick pony, but it's not the best choice if you want modern slap sound.
  17. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Bergantino nv. Mine's a keeper.
  18. Hmmm, I'll take the Ampeg 610, hands down, thanks. One of the best rock cabs ever. I just got one and couldn't be more pleased. Power, tone, punch, and girth. Heavy, sure, but I'll leave that bitchfest to the old men... ;) The Berg is nice, but ridiculously overpriced for what you are really getting...there's no rocket science to that cab. The Benz is nice, but as said by me before, I can't get into the looks (shallow I know)...the only other contender in my book, in a tone to wallet ratio is the SWR. Hate their heads, love the cabs. Also try the Henry 8x8 in practically the same size enclosure. Really great cab, that one.

19. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001

I was pushing 1400 watts into it and it wasn't loud enough at all. Not to mention the amount of bass you can pump into it is pathetic, as is the punch in my opinion.
  20. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Er... Doesn't the Ampeg cost about the same as the Bergantino? How is one ridiculously overpriced and the other not?