1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

7/32" routher bit

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bill h, Mar 27, 2006.

1. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Where can I get one? I am installing a 1/8" Allen Nut Hot Rod trus rod from stew Mac. I know they sell them for $20, but I am to cheap to pay $20 for a bit that should be $10. Where did you get yours? Should I just buckle down and pay it?

EDIT: sorry for the typo in the title, Mods can you fix it for me? Thanks

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

http://routerbitworld.com/product_info.php/cPath/1236_1237_1238_1241/products_id/23715

Would this work?

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
  4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Cool, glad it'll work!

Just to let you know, I've ordered a few bits from them, and my first order contained a bit that was the wrong size. They sent a new one without any problems, but just make sure you check the package!

5. I used an amana bit for those rods from carbide.com. I think it cost about $15 or so. Amana bits are very high quality. But I think the size is too specific. That is just one of the reasons why I started using lmi rods. Besides, they're stronger, behave better when adjusting and cost about the same.

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I looked at them and thought the stewmack looked better? Am I misinformed?

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

I've only used the lmii dbl. action rods, and they've worked well for me. The 1/4" width of the channel is a plus, rather than the 7/32". Still, since I haven't used the stewmac one, you should probably follow the advice of someone who has (Wilser).

8. well, they're 'prettier', but the LMI works better and is sturdier IMO. I have snapped off the nuts of the stew mac rods twice. I've yet to break an LMI rod.

9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Thanks for the info, Thats not what it looks like, but how you show something in a pic don't tell the whole store. Next one will be a LMI. Now I need to think if I want to buy a router bit or just get a new rod????

10. Just thought of another advantage to the LMI rod. It needs a shallower groove, meaning you can make your necks thinner :D

11. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Stewmac rods do not respond to adjustment as well lmi rods. Also the adjustment nut is very fragile.