Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7.5" x 7.5" space to fit a chorus & tremolo - what to get?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexclaber, Aug 15, 2004.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A space has opened up on my pedalboard now that I've realised my compressor hasn't been used in months. So I have a 7.5" x 7.5" space to fit a thick warm chorus and a clean tremolo (and the resulting jackplugs) either as a 2-in-1 pedal or separately. I'd quite like vibrato too but that's not that important, my hands are perfectly adept at it. Interested in the Danelectro Wasabi chorus/trem as the budget solution, through to the Analogman Clone Chorus and Carl Martin TremO'vibe at the high end. The Danelectro Cool Cat looks great too.

It/they have to be relatively low noise and not kill my bottom (as I don't run a separate clean line). Bypass isn't such an issue as I use a true-bypass box and both my basses are active - the Boss buffered bypass is fine but I prefer mechanical switches due to the lower noise. I'm looking for minimal controls as I tend to tweak on the fly - I don't like programmability either and on the whole I've found analogue pedals sound better than digital ones. I'd rather have one great sound (like my Phase 90) than lots of mediocre ones. Cost isn't as issue as I'm in no hurry and I have a new job!

I'd rather not get a pedal with an integral flanger function as I already have a great flanger that I love and two flangers is just overkill! (but if THE chorus pedal has flange then so be it). I'd also rather they run on 9V DC, 9V AC, 13V DC or 18V DC so my JuiceBox can power them.

So many choices!

Alex

2. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Thanks to everyone's helpful responses :rollno: ;) I've pretty much made my decision.

I going for the Analogman Clone Chorus with 3-way deep switch mod and the Demeter Tremulator.

Good choices?

Alex

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    If I were in your position (which I kind of am, minus the free-flowing cash), I'd get 4MS Pedals to make me a Phaseur Fleur and Tremulus in one box (they would use a 7"x7" box). The Phaseur is a phaser/chorus/vibrato sort of thing, all analog. They're all custom, so you could minimize the controls some, but it will still end up being more knobby than an MXR.

So, anyway, I don't know how much this would fit into what you need, but since you weren't getting any replies, I thought I'd give you my unsolicited opinion. Check out 4MS's website and listen to the samples and get an idea of what the pedals are like. I've got a Noise Swash/Fuzz jade they made and it's fantastic.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    The Analogman clone chorus rules with the deep mod, but you might also consider the Fulltone Choralflange?

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you want chorus + vibe, the Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble looks like it will do the job!

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/retro.php

These just came out, so I have no idea how they sound or how they perform.

Why don't you get one and post a review for us? :D

P.S. I've used the Analog Man Clone Chorus, and I've never heard a better chorus pedal.

6. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Very cool looking pedals! Too knob laden for my liking (so glad I got rid of that Meatball) and as I already have separate phasers and flangers I'd rather not duplicate the effects. Plus I have to get this sorted before my brother flies back to England - not that he knows he's the official courier yet! ;)

That was certainly on the shortlist, however I already have a flanger and on the whole the comments have suggested that the Analogman is much fatter sounding. As I have a nice and potentially metallic sounding Boss Flanger and a midrangey MXR Phase90 I'd like a modulation effect with more bottomy warmth (and even a bit of subtlety!) And I'm thinking, if I have the 3-way switch mod, then I can have the best of all worlds.

It was an email from Musictoyz featuring this pedal that got my GAS restarted! However, further investigation has revealed that the vibrato is correctly named and it's not a tremolo in disguise. Plus, I don't like the thought of adding a wallwart to my elegantly JuiceBox powered board.

Alex

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I was going to mention a Lovtone Wobulator, but it won't even fit in the space. Oh well.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not the same, but I'm looking at the Red Witch Moon Phase from musictoyz. i