1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$7,500 Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here is a link to a mint 20th Anniversary Stingray. It is clean, but I can't imagine $7,499 for a Stingray. I know it's collectable. but I just can't see it and really like Stingrays!

http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/ltd.shtml

2. It's sure a pretty thing though, isn't it? But $7,499 pretty? Depends on how badly someone wants it.

3. Looks sweet, but I could get several handmade basses that look just as good for less.

4. Only 8 released to the public. A fair price I'd say, because someone will want one that much.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Only 10 made. Only 8 public. Uber-rare. May not be your bag, but someone will pick it up.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It looks nice, but it's overpriced a tad, imo.

Well, I don't think it's worth what they're asking. I have no doubt that it will sell though!

7. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    The value is based solely on collectibility. I wouldn't think that the person buying this bass would use it as a player.

They also have the first 10 SR5 bridges made by EBMM...serial numbers 1-10 on the bridge.

8. I'm confused by all these 20th anniversary Stingrays.

Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Music123, etc. are all selling what appears to be the same bass for $5250. And none of them say anything about there being so few available. Is there a difference?
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...nniversary-Stingray-5-5String-Bass?sku=514222

Also, what's the difference between this bass and the Stingray 5 20th Anniversary bass that was reviewed in "Bass Player" last month? That one is supposed to be only $2000 street price.
    http://www.bassplayer.com/article/ernie-ballmusic-man/jan-08/33233

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    That neck is sexy, $7500 sexy though? Not to me.

10. I'd be afraid to play it, too pretty and expensive so I wouldn't want to ding it, so, what would be the point? Then again, being that I'm the opposite of the collector type, a collector would probably snatch this pretty quickly.

11. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    God i hate the abuse of price tags these days..

12. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    seriously...it probably sounds no different than the stock Stingray. And the woods they used aren't rare or hard to find on basses costing thousands less. Oh wait...now I see it...the small inlay on the neck that isn't even fancy or made of diamonds or something.

I once made a corner shelf in 8th grade shop class..there was only 1 of 1 made...that doesn't mean it is worth 7 grand. sheesh:rolleyes:

They should post the buyers name so I can go ask them for free money.

Hey look! I went bargain shopping...found one (flamed maple instead of quilt) for 2 grand less!

http://www.music123.com/Music-Man-20th-Anniversary-StingRay-5-5-String-Bass-Guitar-514222-i1385079.Music123?cm_mmc=$(channel)$-_-Music%20Man-_-Electric%20Bass-_-Music%20Man%2020th%20Anniversary%20StingRay%205%205-String%20Bass%20Guitar&source=ZWFRWXX&mr:trackingCode=F795C03E-65EC-DC11-AA92-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

13. I'd like to see the markup for this bass, probably quite high.

And it just made me realize the SR5 looks way better without a pick-guard. I've always found the pick-guard on the SR4 alright, but quite ugly on the SR5.

14. they should of at least put a Graphite neck on it with the matching EB headstock! they should of also set it up with the HH.

15. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    These aren't 20th anniversay SR5s. These are BFR (Ball Family Reserve) SR5s, which are made in very limited amounts. Anyone who wanted a 20th anniversay SR5 could have ordered one, but they only made 10 of these SR5s.

Still, none of those woods are that rare. I could probably have custom builder make one very similar to that for much less $$$$. I think they are very beautiful, but $7500 is way too much IMO. I could $3k or even $4k, but not $7.5k. Someone will probably buy it though, and maybe they see something that I don't.

16. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I would have to assume that a huge bass seller like Bass Central will know how to best price used instruments. I'm sure they have it listed for a price that they believe the market will bear.

I wouldn't pay that personally but I know some EBMM enthusiasts besides myself, of course, that would probably pick that up.

17. I'm thinking that that particular tonne of cash would get you comfortably into Wal territory, though...

18. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1

Or Alembic or even a used Carl Thompson. You could also get a new Sadowsky or Alleva Copello.

19. I was specifically trying not to say the "Sad" word because people tend to get their hackles up, but yes, I would probably spend the $ on a Sadowsky that was tailored to my likes...

But shouldn't everyone own a Wal? ;)

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I want to say that I not would criticize anyone who spent $7,500 for that bass. I just cannot personally see spending that on a Stingray.:bag: