Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7/8 American Standard bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Steve Swan, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    On my last guitar and bass buying - selling trip to the greater Los Angeles area, I happened on to a very clean American Standard bass with only 2 strings sitting in a rock'n'roll guitar shop on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. I took it home and cleaned it up, putting on a set of Eurosonic ultra light guage strings. The bass is much larger than I originaly thought. The 7/8 dimensions are roughly:

Body length 43 1/2"

Upper bout 20 5/8"
    C bout 15 1/4"
    Lower bout 25 7/8"

String length 43 1/2"

Side depth at tail 8"
    Side depth at upper bout crease 7 3/4"
    Side depth at neck joint 6 1/2"

The bridge was set up for easy jazz playing for the steel strings that were on it. The Eurosonics give the bass a warm, lush sound with more definition than gut strings would. It is very easy to play. I'm very impressed that such a large plywood bass could sound so free and be so easy to play.

Steve Swan

2. efhole

efhole

Nov 26, 2004
    Are you keeping for yourself or are you gonna sell her?

3. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
  4. what's the serial # ? I didn't know there were any 7/8 A.S. basses. I'll measure my A.S.#787 to see how big she is. Mine is a 3/4 but it has a 43" string length.
    See my thread "American Standard Restoration" or visit
    http://www.smokin-grass.com/as787.html
    -Mike

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Don't the American Standard basses fall into the "large 3/4 or small 7/8" category?

6. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    It's kind of weird, but the lower bout looks like a normal 3/4 size and the upper bout and neck from a 7/8 bass. The upper bout looks a little like Brainiac.

Steve

7. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    Yes. The AS basses are large 3/4 or small 7/8. I do not think they were made in any other size than that.