Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7/8 Christopher...Good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by choang3, Nov 10, 2003.

1. choang3

choang3

Oct 14, 2003
    New Orleans, LA
    Hey guys,

I've been lurking around here for the last few months learning a lot from you guys. I'm hoping that you can help me out on a DB that I'm considering buying.

Here are the details:
    Christopher hybrid
    7/8 size
    fully set up with Velvet gut strings
    5-string
    3 years old
    I will be doing both pizz and arco
    model DB801F-5
    $4,500

Do you think this is a good deal? I like the sound and the playability very much--these guts strings don't hurt my fingers as much as the steel strings do--but I'm wondering if I can get this same DB with the same setup for less. I'm new to the DB--I've been playing trumpet for 15 years.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks!

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I'm pretty sure you can find that for signifigantly less. I've seen fully set up carved Christophers for less, and I don't think the 5 strings were that much more expensive. David Graham at Graham's String Shop in Dallas, TX had carved @ around $3000.

Monte

3. My 7/8 hybrid Busetto 4-string Christopher cost less than $2000 with a "lite" set up. I got a pretty good deal, but I'd shop around a bit more if I were you.

Edit
    I check my retail price list and the retail price for a new 7/8 5-string Chrissie w/violin corners is $2795. For $4500, you could get into a new fully carved Christopher easily.

4. choang3

choang3

Oct 14, 2003
    New Orleans, LA

Thanks a lot Mike. I guess I'll shop elsewhere. Do you know of any shop that sells the same particular bass that I was looking at (7/8 size, hybrid or carved, 5-string) at a decent price, fully set-up or otherwise?

Thanks!

Oh by the way, do you know anything about the model number? It's DB801F-5. I've never seen anything mentioned here or elsewhere about the 800 series. The top series I can find is the 600 series. Is there any way that this could inflate the asking price to $4,500?

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Cho,
    If you add your loaction to your profile, we can at least let you know who to call. It's important that you buy locally. And the Grand-daddy of all bass resource sites is Bob G's list, you can look in your location from there and find someone who carries it:

http://www.urbbob.com/luthiers.html

G/L!
    John

6. choang3

choang3

Oct 14, 2003
    New Orleans, LA
    Hey John,

Thanks for the heads up. As you can see from my updated profile, I'm from New Orleans. :) The bass in question is in fact local. I would like to support my local musical community, but I just want to know if it's outright overpricing.

Thanks!

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Bob's list showed Salvador Giardina, (504) 832 4955.
    The only one I have to add to that is Wally Kay at A Bass Place, (504) 367-2212.
    Good luck!
    John