Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7/8 strings.... i'm interested.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 30, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i was just thinking how cool ot would be to be able to play such dynamic chords, and have so many notes available.

i finally see the light involved in ERBs! haha

so, you ERBs out there. help me out. where can i get a DECENTLY priced extended range.... anyone have anything used i can purchase? and what are decent brands?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If you can find a Conklin GT-7, grab it up. They're becoming a rarity now that they're out of comission. They're probably one of the best priced, and best overall 7-string out there.

-Mark

3. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    bass central has a few. however, i rly think this situation is a serious try bfore u buy. talk about a leap of faith. 4 string to 7.

i definitely consider the 7 a completely different instrument though. its like.. a guitar on steroids. a bass with the capabilities of a guitar. i'd definitely find myself doing much more advanced chord and slap techniques.

basscentral has one for like 1300.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Define "decently priced".. My Conklins are for sale...

[​IMG]

I'll consider a cash sale.. Trades + cash... Or straight up trades for the right bass...

5. Damn, I get GAS every time you post those basses Mark. especially the splated. Too bad I'm temporarily poor...

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

I've got a question... how come the norm for 7 strings seems to be B-F# tuning, yet in the 4>5 leap you usually get the low string first?

7. It's all up to personal preference. Most use B-G tuning on fives, but there are those who use E-C.

ERB'ers are a unique bunch anyway so they just tune anyway they want to. ;)

8. Yea, JT tunes his like a 7 string guitar (except his MIDI 8 strings I think)

Some guys tune there 7's with a low F#, but usually its the 8 strings I see with F#-Ab

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've got a few of my basses tuned with low f#, including both 8's. i go back and forth between guitar tuning and straight tuning, although most of my instruments (including the 8's ;) )still use the guitar tuning.

as for going from 4 to 7 - it's what i did. lined fretless 4 to unlined fretless 7 to boot. you can do it. you just have to be willing to make the committment to the 7, and focus on getting better. it may take you a little while, but you'll make it.

the folks that don't put a lot of effort into it get discouraged by the lack for progress often, and they often end up failing. it's like a whole new instrument almost, takes a lot of dedication, but the payouts are worth it, imo.

10. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Anyone ever tried guitar tuning with a low A? It's used by a lot of 7-string jazz guitarists, because you can throw an octave below anything you would normally play on the 5th string without changing positions. It lends a really cool, almost piano-like separation to chords.

11. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, I've definitely heard of this. It's basically the same thing as drop-D tuning on a guitar except you're doing it with a guitar with a low B string.

12. why are you getting rid of those? just curious:bag:
    I would buy the one on the right off of you if I had the extra $2-4k(assuming its somewere in that price range) to spend on it.:bag:

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Three 8 string basses is two too many..

;)

Plus there are some other factors influencing my decision to sell. Have some physical complications from an accident I was in a few years back that I'd hoped wouldn't worsen. Unfortunately for me they have and now weight has become a factor.. Why I play mainly my Lulls now.. They're incredibly light...

14. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    This is the best advice anyone considering a 7+ string can get (and its very qualified advice from a very qualified player :D ). I started playing a 6 about 1 1/2 years ago and truthfully it wasn't a huge adjustment from a 4/5. But I have also been playing a 7 for well over a year and I'm just now getting truely comfortable with it. Different feel, different hand positions, different mind set while playing.

Galveston makes a POS 7 that you can get for about $600, but don't expect a lot from it. The Conklin GT7 is a good production bass for the money, but as someone said, they're getting harder and harder to find and the prices are climbing a bit.