Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7/8string Fretless - Where can i find one?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Field Mouse, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Field Mouse

Field Mouse

Jun 18, 2002
    GY - England
    Howdy !

I have currently been looking to purchase myself a 7 or 8 string Fretless bass. I have found few.. but at prices ranging from £4000 - £6000.

I cannot afford to pay £4000 for a new bass. Does anybody know where i can find what im looking for at a more reasonable price. I am interested in USED or NEW. I've tried ebay, but found nothing.

The most i would probobly pay, would be no more than £1000. Know where i can find one? PLEASE tell me.

No really.. i want this bass, if you can help in anyway, then please do so.

_ FM _

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I second the motion.
    The Conklin GT7f is an amazing fretless. So much fun. Excellent quality!

They show up on ebay occasionally, or on some of the internet sales sites. I recently sold one to a friend. If you can find one, I highly recommend it.

We'll keep our eyes open for you...
    [​IMG]

3. Sorry buddy, but to the best of my knowledge, the only place you're gonna find a fretless 7/8 stringer, is gonna be from a custom luthier. Have a Look at Rob Elrick http://www.elrick.com , or Bill Conklin, Jerzy Drozd might be a bit to expensive for you but look into it anyway.

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You could sneak by JT's house when he's not home...

:D

OK, that's a bad idea. Conklin would probably be your best bet.

5. yea, bad idea, I think John would come after you with his double neck...ouch

6. Field Mouse

Field Mouse

Jun 18, 2002
    GY - England
    That conklin GT7 is a beauty!!

i am looking into buying that now.

if anyone comes across more 7+string fretless's, then please keep letting me know, you can never have too many basses... never.

For a brief moment, i did consider stealing Jts... but blimy.. he sure looks frighting with that double handed axe.. i think ill stick to the old fasioned way of 'purchasing'. ;)

thanks again,

PS: keep the replys coming in

_FM_

7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    semi-related..

anyone know where to get pickups for 7&8 string basses?

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D

bartolini makes 7 string wide pickups.

my 8 string mm-style pickups were custom wound by seymour duncan.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I looks like an Ebony board in that picture, and....

::dramatic sinister music::

FRETLINES!!!!

Ok so its not that big of a deal, but it is kinda dissapointing.

Peace
    Nick

10. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    hey just so you know the GT7 Bill dickens fretless is $1500 at musicians friend and it adds neck-through and nice figured top. Also 3 band eq and eq presest rotary knob. It uses single coil Bd signature pickups though.

Joe

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That's a pretty big bass for a 15 year old! Hhhhmmm.

The Conklin is really your only choice. The bass has a composite fretboard (Ebonol, or something?) and has to have fretlines. Yuck.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I'd go with the Bill Dickens

Peace
    Nick

13. Before you get too excited... Bear in mind that shipping from the US to the UK will cost about £150 (according to Bass Northwest) and then you'll get stung for import duty. Can't remember how much that will be, but it's not peanuts. So over and above the £1000 for the bass itself you have to add on these extras.

Just to give you more GAS here's my mate Gareth's home built headless, fretless 7. :cool: Cocobolo top, with wenge and maple core layers giving hollow chambers. Paduak, maple and walnut neck. Nice bass, but rather a weird neck profile. The other one is his home built Rob Allen ripoff (er... tribute ;) ) Very nice basses.

Cheers,
    Mike

14. That is a sweet headless bass!! How does it sound?

15. Field Mouse

Field Mouse

Jun 18, 2002
    GY - England
    Anymore 7 strings going about?

i like the conklin.. and a few 6string ibanez's..surely theres more?

please please please, post all the links of 7/8 string fretless's you know.

Oh, and a question: How come a fretless bass seems to cost more than a fretted bass? i dont understand.. surely it costs more to fret a bass.. ive seen fret installments for £140.. thats £140 cheap without frets?.. strange.

keep the basses coming!

_FM_

16. [Disclaimer] I really haven't had much chance to play it. It's still a little bit "work in progress" - Gareth still has to complete a few things. He has it stringed up with roundwounds at the minute, since 7 string sets of flats are hard to find around here (UK). I'm no fretless player either... [/Disclaimer]

It has quite a clear, bright tone at the minute. The pups are Kent Armstrong custom humbucking Jazz which seem to give quite a punchy tone. The instrument is still passive just now, but I think Gareth may drop an EQ circuit in there before long. The down side (for me) is that it has a really flat neck profile on the back of the neck. *Really* flat. I'm not sure I like this, it feels like you are literally playing on a plank of wood. However, 'snot my bass...

I forgot to mention that it has the brightest LEDs on the front and side. Green LEDs with Yellow at 12 and 24 "fret" position. The body is a sandwich: Cocobolo/Maple/Wenge/Maple/Cocobolo so the back is like the front.

Nice! I have a 6 on order from him! :cool: :D

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its probably because they can make more money that way, but they probably justify it by saying that its special order, or something out of the ordinary.

Its not the same as not installing frets however. Most basses that come standard with woods other than ebony will have ebony on the fretless. Also they are often coated. They are afoten also inlayed with fretlines which is not that hard.

Manufacturers do have their reasons, but they are kinda lame.

Peace
    Nick

18. Field Mouse

Field Mouse

Jun 18, 2002
    GY - England
    Does anybody know where i can get a used Conklin Gt-7? from musiciansfriend i can be expecting to pay £1000 new. Is this bass going around anywhere cheap? Anybody like to sell me one?

if you know where i can find one cheap, or any other 7/8string cheaper.. then keep the replys coming, or email me - jaspin@ntlworld.com

_FM_