Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 and 5 string Low End jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Al Caldwell, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    My new basses will be here in 3 weeks. I can't imagine what this 7 string jazz bass is going to feel like. Does any of you own a Low End jazz? Mine are going to be white with gold hardware. The seven string will be tuned e-a-d-g-c-f-Bb. I've never tried this tuning but it should
    still let me play solid bass and still cover the chords. The white five string will have EMG's and and EXB pre. This bass is mainly for slapping. I'm still waiting on the dream 11 string. I'll keep you posted.
    Maybe Brian Barret can show you some pictures. I'm off to New York again. Tell me what you think about Low End Jazz basses and have you ever played a seven string jazz bass?

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've got one coming too, the trans white one above your 5'er. I'm super excited about it and am thrilled that it's coming ahead of schedule like yours.

If anybody played them at NAMM or bought one, I'd like to hear about it too.

Will

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I think that it is cool that you are willing to play a 9 string, but also not lock yourself into that and play basses with less strings and basses with more strings.

Has your music allowed you to purchase all these instruments or do you have a 9-5? Either way I think it's great.

Sorry for the thread derailment. :bag:

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Heres the mockup 7 string Jazz.

In the next few weeks I'll have actual pictures I can Post of Al's and others.

[​IMG]

5. Mine should be coming soon, 7 string, swamp ash body, tuned from the low B up. I'm very excited, since I am certain it'll be a killer bass. I already love my Vortex 6 and can hardly wait to get that one :hyper:
    May be Brian could post some pics when the time comes :D

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

I love your Vortex 6 too :)

7. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I have never had a day job. I just got back from doing a great record date in New York . And Vanessa Williams is getting her own talk show and i'll be in the T.V band. I also produce Gospel and Smooth Jazz records in St.Louis. I wish I had my Low End 5 string because we did "I'll be good to you " by the Brothers Johnson but we did the song in D. The Slap on the 9 is great for a lot of songs but it didn't sound like a 70's musicman. I used my 4 string Fender Jazz.

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Brian,

Hey, I was the local guy who called you yesterday but didn't leave a message. I ran across your site and saw that you were in Bartlett, and thought that you had a "physical" store.

Even drove by your "store," but seeing that it's your house, I didn't come in.

Sorry I didn't call you back yesterday, but it would have been a "nevermind" phone call anyway, as I was just looking for a Comfort Strapp. Picked one up at GC.

Cool basses. I promise not to lurk in the bushes outside your house.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool stuff al, be sure to post some pics.

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Lyle

Your welcome to come by as it is actually my shop. I am for the most part apt. only, but regular's just drop by. On the other hand it is an old house like the one to the left that the city of Bartlett works out of there for its zoned OFS. I am having to live here now because we sold our house and I'm moving my shop and family to Nashville.

Your welcome to call and come by any time, first and formost its my bass Shop!!!!

Thanks

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

I want to se Vanessa playing the 9 string :D

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Al, I hope you post pictures of the seven and five when you get them. Also would you post a discography/biography. I am always interested in the projects that working musicians are involved have done and are doing. I think that for young, aspiring players, it is good to know that a person can make a living from music without being a "star." That is especially important for kids who might not commit to music seriously because of family pressure to get a "real job" or something "secure."

The great irony is to look at how many people with seemingly solid, and skilled jobs get "downsized" in this "dynamic global economy." :rolleyes:

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Thanks, I wasn't sure, so I didn't want to just knock on the door. I'll be keeping an eye on your site, now that I know where the goodies are.

Neal did a great job on your audio clips. I went to college with him but haven't seen him in several years. He's phenomenal.

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Brian,

So howabout a clue as to "the mystery bassist" who's getting the 6 on your site? Just a cluuuuuueee...

Will

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

I can't till later ..................... ;) ..........Later or sooner....

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I know you're going to keep me in all this suspense, just to find out later that it's Dick Smothers. :D

Oh yeah...Vanessa is getting her own talk show? I *know* she'll be better than Sharon Osbourne, because God love her, Sharon's was pretty bad.

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    WOW, guys keep it under control, but heres a Pic Al just sent me. She won't be hard to look at on a talkshow, forsure!

[​IMG]

18. Vanessa was a beauty queen, if I remember correctly. And a great singer too. Al, you've got a great gig! :)

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    There's so much to look at in that picture, it almost made me pass out.

And they both sound good...*edit* great too!

Thanks Al!