Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 foot cello

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FunkySpoo, Oct 23, 2003.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    This is a common problem. I e-mail the seller of this auction after they listed it as a bass, because I know that eveery time something like this is listed that way, some well meaning relative or friend will get it for my birthday....

To their credit, they seemed genuinely concerned, so I sent them some pics of bass scrolls and machines versus cello pegs, and they changed it.

Monte

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Sorry Monte, but that IS a bass. Tuners mean nothing-note the sloping shoulders!

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    7' cello's are nuthin'; my bass is 25'

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    [​IMG]
    That neck heel isn't exactly confidence-inspiring now is it? Unless that's not a repaired (?) crack and is actually a decorative pinstripe. :D

6. The action's high enough to store a cello between the strings and the fingerboard...

7. Defining the action of a 7 feet cello:

1. the string height at the nut should be adjusted so, that your index finger fits comfortably between the strings and the fingerboard.

2. The string height at the end of the fingerboard should be adjusted so, that you can fit a tennis ball between the strings and the fingerboard.

3. This way the cello is comfortable to play with open strings. If you want to play notes other than E, A, D, or G, use harmonics or buy a cello capo.

:D
    R2

8. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I just like the fact that he lists shipping charges at $3.00. Somebody on the west coast needs to pick this one up just for the satisfaction of burning this guy on shipping charges to the tune of a couple hundred bucks!

:D

9. look at the action on that thing man, you could drive a truck under those strings.