1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

7 String, are Galveston that bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Apr 6, 2006.

1. I live in the UK and i cant afford to have a conklin shipped over from the US, i want to try out 7 0r 8 string playing. Is galveston so bad? can anyone state an equivalent (quality wise) makerso that i can have an idea what the build quality and sound is like??? :help:

2. i hear the build quality is pretty poor

3. Hmmmm- Lakland poor, Warwick poor, Fender poor, Yamaha poor, Ibanez poor, Squier poor or Crap as all hell poor?!?!?!:hyper:

4. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I don't know much about the non-US market, so I couldn't give you a reference point. But I can say that the Galveston basses are, in general, low end instruments with several significant flaws (IMO). (As a qualifier, I have played several of them)

First, the bridges are not fixed to the bass, so if you take off a string the bridge falls off/out. The bridges shift with some regularity as these basses are played, creating intonation/tuning issues (obviously) that can not be easily adjusted at a gig.

The hardware is, in general, of poor quality. Tuners on two of the basses had the plating flaking off as the gears were turned. Strap buttons were always loose, to the point I was concerned about playing the bass on a strap.

The electronics were lifeless. They made a sound, but it was never a cool, deep, clean bass sound, if you know what I mean. I guess they could be best described as very electric sounding (and not in a good way).

The bodies were decent, IIRC they have two truss rods, string spacing was tight (16.5 mm, similar to the GT7's), fretwork just so-so (but not terrible), wood quality varied widely between the 4 I played, but generally looked okay on each bass. The neck was very similar to the GT7 in terms of feel and size.

I would think that a purchase of a Galveston would require you to basically strip down the entire bass and replace everything. Sure, they are inexpensive (relatively speaking) but you're not really getting anything of quality on the bass besides the blank body itself. I would think that resale would be a complete disaster.

I usually don't speak negatively of any instrument, but after trying 4 different Galveston 7's at 4 different times, only to end up with the exact same issues on each bass, I'd be willing to bet that a decent quality Galveston 7 is the exception, not the rule. Try to keep an eye out for a used bass (although I do understand that it's nearly impossible to find a used GT7 outside the US) or maybe speak to a local small builder. I'm afraid you would be highly disappointed if you were to get a Galveston without having first tried one ....

5. what?

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    If you can't get a GT7, definitely go for a European luthier.

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    From what I've gathered, Galveston falls somewhere between the last two options.

See if you can score a 2nd hand Conklin GT-7 from UK or Europe......
    it'll require some patience probably.

8. Thats just me joking, people on talkbass have very different perceptions of what constitutes a "poor" instrument. Im just trying to establish some sort of frame of reference here... I Love my Warwick thumb and O.L.P. Stingray, to me they are high quality instruments, to some (custom collectors, vintage purists e.t.c) on T.B. they would be cosidered firewood:meh:

9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I have one. I had the nut replaced (the original looked like it was cut by a drunk), and the controls all needed cleaning (some pots needed replacement), new strings and a new setup...and it now plays great, and sounds fantastic.

I may have just gotten lucky.

YMMV

10. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Great to hear that there are some good ones out there :bassist:

What did you do to keep the bridge/string saddles from dancing around all over the place? Or did they finally change that design?

11. Hi,
    Just say that Conklin Groove Tools GT-7 come up on E-Bay quite regularly.

I bought mine for US$800 and that included shipping to Glasgow !! I had to pay duty though but it was still a steal.. There's also one on www.basscentral.com at the moment if that's any help..

Good luck,
    Mark

12. How long ago did you get yours? theyre going for like $1100 on ebay now, without shipping! do you love it? I want one even though my mates will take the piss out of me...!
    :bassist:

13. who cares ? it's your money , if you want to buy one , just do it !