Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 string bass string question.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cods, Dec 18, 2003.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    is there any way to go around having to a set of seven string strings(i don't have a seven string yet...but for the future)? can i buy a set of 6 string strings and add a guitar string(that is the correct gauge), or would the guitar sting not be long enough? it would be for a conklin gt-7 by the way.

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    yeah...dean markley makes some...but they are like $35-40 a pack...and i wanna see if there is a cheaper alternative.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    using a guitar string for the highest string _might_ not work for a few reasons. for one, the ball ends on guitar strings are smaller than bass strings, and it might not catch properly in the bridge. i'm not an expert on the bridge that's on the conklin gt's but on my customs, they would not work.

the other issue is the string length. considering the scale length of guitars is about 9 inches shorter, the chances that a guitar string will work length wise are pretty slim. you're looking at about 40" long at least to get the thing wrapped around the post properly - i don't think guitar strings are that long.

check out www.juststrings.com . they have bargains available.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I experimented with guitar strings on my old BD7 and the sixes I've had. It's often luck of the draw to get them long enough, but if they are, they work. The catch is you can't get much winding around the post.

The ball-end problem is solved by taking the ball-end out of a regular bass guitar string, and threading the guitar string through it. This effectively gives the litte guitar string a bass string ball-end held in by string tension that will work in any bass guitar bridge.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ah, very clever. nice :)

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    If I saved you any money, John, please donate it to the appropiate cancer-related charity :)

8. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I detuned my six string bass from E-e by using a guitar string and dropping the Low B. I use a key ring to slip thru the Guitar ball. This keeps the string from slipping thru the Bridge. Some guitar strings are shipped longer than others, so for guitar strings I use GHS. And for bass I exclusively use DR.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol. i'll keep that in mind :D

10. whats with all these 7 string bass players these days, what weenies. i mean HEY BUDDY OLD PAL JOHN TURNER i was just telling everyone how great your bass is.:D

11. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I just received a GT7! I changed the strings for d'Addarios, there XL serie for guitar and bass are the same material so they are relatively similar in tone. Just make sure you don't buy an untappered B, the ball end attachment doesn't fit properly in the bridge slot. As for the high F, us something smaller then .024, that's what I bought and the tension is to great compared to the high C.

take care
    PL