7 string + basses - finding hardware?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by M_A_T_T, Oct 11, 2004.

1. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    I have been looking at the Conklin in your face bass gallery and would really like to do something funky, like at least a 7 string bass, but an having trouble finding hardware.

I'd go with Hipshot Ultralites for tuners, but the bridge and particularly the pickup and strings I can't find. ABM and Hipshot make 7 string bridges, that's the largest in a solid bridge I've found, so I'm thinking just a seven string, but I haven't found any pickups for such an instrument.

Anybody able to offer suggestions?
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    seymore duncan customshop.
  3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Bartolini do a number of pickups in sizes that are wide enough to cover the string span of a 7 banger. The P4 size is used in the Conklin GT7 and comes in a couple of coil configurations. They all have bar magnets so spacing isn't an issue. On the Bart site are a couple of .pdf's that show sizes and coil config options.

EMG45's cover about 100mm so they might fit too.
  4. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I got mine from Christoph Dolf of Bass Culture.
    Mr. Dolf was great dealing with, very reasonable prices, and he'll build the pickups to your exact specs.

Mine are dual-coil MM style seven string pickups with neodyme magnets in flame maple covers, switchable between series and parallell.

They sound great and look great!

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    WOW! Nice!

Carey Nordstrand is building my next 7 & using his pup's...can't wait...

6. Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Villex is an other option, I have a set on my 7 string.