7 String basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Which companys develop 7 string basses?
    I only know Conklin.
    If you know a company which does develop 7 string basses, please give me a price quote and your experience with it, if you have any..

I heard that the standard Conklin basses aren't really of good quality..
    Apologies for my horrible English and thanks in advance..
  2. Him666

I think you might get a bit of stick from Conklin owners for saying that normal Conklins aren't really og good quality. From what I have heard, Conklin GT's are very good value and the people I know that have them are very pleased with them. I expect that they may not of the same quality as a custom Conklin but that is only to be expected.

I myself play a Sei bass 7 string fretless which is made by Martin Petersen in Camden, London.

He builds every bass to order so the specs would be up to you. Prices for his basses are on his website at www.seibass.com
    A picture of my bass can be found on the site if you look at second hand basses, mine is the big photo looking up wards on a purple and blue background.

Having made the decision to move to 7 strings I do not regret it at all. It takes a bit of getting used too but on the whole it was very easy. Every time I play it I find out more of it's potential which justifies my decision to move to 7 strings.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Who have you heard this from? As one who has owned three Groove Tools 7's I can say from direct experience that they're both an excellent value and a great instrument.
  4. Well some reviews on the Internet. Its a shame i cant try one here in Holland, the only place at the world you can try weed more easily than a bass..
  5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What exactly did these people find lacking in them? Seeing that you get a very well made instrument with a quilt maple top, 7 piece wenge/purpleheart laminated neck with active electronics and Bartolini pickups; that's quite a value!
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The Conklin's are all very good instruments .... obviously, the custom shop stuff is of a higher quality than the Groove Tools, but the GT's are an extremely good value. The only reason I don't have a GT myself is that they don't make a 6 string ...... :bawl:

You can get some really good buys on used GT7's, a lot of players buy them and then realize that they may have gotten in over their heads with the extended range of the bass ....
  7. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i am the proud owner/operator of a GT-7, which i love!
    true, it is not an instrument for sissies, but it does what i want, sounds good, is very well made, and is a conversation piece, to say the least!
    i just finished a stint in the pit at the local high school...we did 'grease'...and the kids there would not allow me to play my four string! i think i was the only musician who had a fan club! :p
    i'm sorry i can't answer yer question about other makers of extended range basses, but my gt7 works just fine, considering the price...a ton less than conklin's custom stuff.
    are there a few things i would do different on it? yes. an active/passive bypass would be really cool...a swing open battery door...i would kill for the availability of flatwound strings, too.
    i've never, ever, ever had a problem with this bass...except for other bass players (and the more than occasional dipstick guitar player) that get 'the look' and start in with the 'well, if 4 was enough for jaco...' crap. usually, they can't play like jaco, either... :D
    if one doesn't want to play a 7, well and good. one should just keep the piehole closed, tyvm.
    now, there are a few things i would be remiss in not talking about...
    if your left hand technique isn't up to snuff, and you jump to a 7, you will hurt. it took about a year for me to get my left hand to the point where it didn't feel like splitting in half, but it wasn't the fault of the bass...there's just a lot more real estate to deal with.
    also, this bass is heavy. get a good strap, preferably nonskid material. i do prefer to sit while playing, and this bass sits well. however, once you get used to it, standing isn't a thang...but also be advised that the neck does like to weigh on yer left hand a bit...my left hand is now longer than my right!
    anyway, that's my take on my instrument. it ain't for everyone, but those who like it love it, in my experience.
    oh yeah...it is a bear to fly with. airlines don't seem to like instruments in general, and this puppy does take up more room. i've had times where i was able to put it, in a gig bag, on overhead with no probs. i've also had times where i hand checked it at the gate, (kaces III gig bag in a SKB shell) only to have the cretins (logan, boston) toss it onto the carousel. the bass is rugged enough to handle it, but...you have to make absolutely sure to have the right tags on it and be prepared to deal with ignorant personnel...and to stand in one place long enough saying the same thing over and over to get the point across. i almost delayed boarding of a flight getting on the plane i was getting off of by making the staff find my bass and place it in my hand. fortunately, the crew member was a guitarist...:D

all apologies for the rambling nature of this post, but these are things i've learned while driving a conklin!

good luck in finding what you want!
  8. Here:
  9. Great,thanks for your answer. I would like a fretless one, and i would like to get a "mwah" tone, but aren't there any flatwounds for the Conklin?
  10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hmmmm.. Interesting.... :eyebrow:

I've -never- owned/played a bass (custom or production) that needed $600 worth of fretwork to make it playable!! That's a little extreme if you ask me. Personally if it were -that- bad I would have asked for a replacement/refund..
  11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Agreed .... why would anyone ever put that kind of $$ into a bass that has a near zero history of problems?? Yet even with sinking that much additional money into it, he still rates it in the high 9's :confused: Something doesn't seem right with that entire review :scowl:
  12. "true, it is not an instrument for sissies"

Oh brother, give me a freakin' break!... :spit:
  13. Yeah strange review. Maybe he got it second handed or something..
  14. Yeah, its a strange review. I can't understand how someone could spend $600 on fret work and then give the instrument 85% on construction.
  15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's a very good review by TB'er Jorg Schroeder*

*Owner of Schroeder cabinets
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    one instrument with fret problems doesn't invalidate the whole line of instruments. :rolleyes:
  17. LOL :D That's great man !
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played 'em and while I had trouble getting my hand around the neck, I found it very playable, high quality and sounded great. Shame I couldn't keep on the right strings ;)
  19. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA