Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7-string confusion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basser_Instinct, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Basser_Instinct

Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    Ok, I'm in that mindset that it's time to really challenge myself. I'm looking to buy a 7-string conklin. I've played it and loved it but a freind of mine that works at GC told me that, in his opinion, they were $1500 peices of fire wood. I'm really depressed cuz I can't get my hands on any other 7-strings besides the conklin and he is suggesting that I reasearch it a little more and he will have one ordered for me.Problem is, I don't know of any other company that makes 7-strings. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    This is my take on the situation. Most of the guys at GC wouldn't know their a!@ from a hole in the ground. The others opinions are formed like the rest of ours, by testing and finding out for yourself. I don't know which your buddy is, but I say sit down and "wank" on it for a few days. Play it enough to get comfortable with it. If you like the way it feels and you can get the sounds you want out of it, go for it.

3. Basser_Instinct

Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    I've known him for 6 years, I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff... at least I hope so... He's the one that first put a bass in my hands...

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is that like mandatory for all GC employees? I swear not one of them knows a dang thing. It's scary that a music store would hire these people...

5. there is a guy that works at my local GC, that used to work at Taco Bell. let that be a lesson to you all, next time you get a opinion from a GC employee use the phrase "why did you get fired from Taco Bell"

6. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    FWIW, John Turner, who most of us would agree, is as close as there is to an expert on 7-string basses. If I recall correctly, he has consistently given the Conklin GT-7 high marks. John ???

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have no doubt that your friend knows his stuff...about what "he" likes. Nothing wrong with that, as long as his opinions aren't broached as fact. Ask yourself this, if you love the bass why worry about what your friend thinks? There are exceptions of course, like:

-maybe he's actually seen a GT7 spontaneously burst into flames.

-your part of the world is prone to extremely high (relatively speaking) prices for firewood.

-He's Yoda.

Otherwise, go back, play it again. If you really like it, go for it. It's possible your friend may learn something from you...what's possible when you use an open mind.

8. I've tried a couple of GT7's at different stores, and have found them all to be good axes that play pretty well. I just need to find a fretless one (they do make them) and I'll be thrilled.

If anyone has a fretless 7 for sale or trade. lemme know.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Roscoe makes a fantastic 7 string bass, the SKB 3007. Unlike GT Conklins, they're handmade in the USA. Not cheap, though. With custom options, they list for over $4K. I played several Conklins (inc. the Dickson sig. model) when I bought my Roscoe and found them lacking in tone and feel. I understand, however, that the top-of-the line Conklins, like what JT plays, are a different story. I'm speaking mainly of the Korean-made imports. I think Ken Smith makes a nice 7, too.

10. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    You can buy a GT-7 fretless online at musiciansfriend.com now. You might want to look into it. BTW, the list on the Ken Smith 7 is $10,000. Melvin Davis has to have an endorsement!

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he's full of sh!t. i've played custom conklin 7 and 8 strings for the past 8 years, and the groove tools conklins are excellent basses, very comparable to my custom basses.

furthermore, they should be less than $900 new.

what kind of bass does "Brainiac the GC employee play?"

the only reason i don't have one of them to play as a backup is that i'm not too crazy for the really wide neck - i like my spacing tighter, like on the bill dickens signature model.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm hoping that you're friend didn't get brainwashed by GC!!! When I was working @ Sam Ash, they wanted us to push thier line (Carlo Robelli) & Fender. I refused to, I'd always show a Spector bass first :) then show them other things!!! He might of been told to push a certan line & now he is convinced that other lines are "less" better. Just play it & see what tou think.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    something to remember about an instrument in a music store - no telling who has played it before you, or how many people abused it. furthermore, you don't know how long the strings have been on it or even possibly what strings are on there.

i've played a BUNCH of poorly setup, abused GT-7's at various GC's in atlanta, denver, l.a., all over.

it's truly amazing, the difference new strings and a battery will make.

14. this is what i find really weird.

you guys tell me of your GC and how they employees suck and stuff like that.

at my local GC, the employees there are some of the coolest people. They dont care if you have no intention on buying stuff, they are totally cool just slapping away at basses and such. once they even fixed my brothers guitar for free. they give good deals through very easy negotiations. ive never seen them screw over anyone. etc. ive only met one rude employee there.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    well jr, I guess you're lucky. Here's something that's off topic, but sort of relevant:

My bud Chris went into a GC to try out some stuff, and the sales people wouldn't give him the time of day. Brushing him off, telling him they were busy when they obviously weren't. Then some older fellows come in, and they trip them selfs trying to help, still ignoring Chris. So, having jsut wanted to have some questions answered, Chris gets P.O.ed. He then proceeds to say to this one particualrly asnine guy, "Hey pal, I have $900 in my pocket, and I was going to buy a guitar from you, but you just lost my buisness." And walks out. The guys starts to say "but..." but Chris cuts him off, and leaves, he of course, didn't have a penny on him, but that's what made it cool (to me) ...

THAT was off topic, but this isn't: I think the GC guys just have the Conklins for show, because none of the guys I've met really can handle seven. Conklin GTs are great, don't let people tell you otherwise.