Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7-string exercises?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassteban, Feb 18, 2006.

1. I searched & found nothing specifically geared towards 7 strings. Can anyone suggest some fairly basic(new-to-ERB)material for 7 string bass?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think there's no specific lessons towards seven-string because you'll be much better off if you use the same exercises as you use on a four or five-string. The only difference is that you'll extend them up a couple of strings. For example, you'd run the same scale/modes routines, but extend them to the higher strings as well- if you tune your seven-string in fourths as most people do, the half-step/whole-step relatinoships that exist on basses with less strings will stay the same, so its very simple to extend your scales up to the high strings without needing any sort of written-out guide (because the patterns are the same).

It's still a bass, so the practice should stay the same with any number of strings, with the exception of extending your knowledge of scales/modes/patterns up all of the strings.

The only differentiation that I'd look to is the ability to voice chords more clearly (and the ability to use more notes in those chords and maintain a clean tone), so maybe work on chord voicings/fingerings, which are indifferent to string count if you are playing closed chords (ie without open strings).

3. Yeah, this is pretty much what I'm doing. I was just hoping there were some readily-available exercises to help me get familiar w/the massive width of the neck. It's actually much easier than I imagined it would be; I guess I'm just looking for shortcuts. The good thing is that I really enjoy playing it- it keeps me up at night.:bassist:

4. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    As far as I remember, Stew McKinsey has a few on his site geared towards ERBs.

5. one of the best exercises I know is to play 3 octave scales and change the fingering each time you ascend and descend the fingerboard. this is useful in a number of ways. first it is forcing you to really learn your fretboard, but, by extending the process, you can work on your rhythm, your attack, your dynamics, and your muting. moving up and down in thirds is also pretty good for the ears, the eyes, and -- most importantly -- the brain.

hope that was some help.

stay well and keep it deep,

Stew